Author Topic: Agents/ publishers/ portfolio  (Read 8676 times)

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
Re: Agents/ publishers/ portfolio
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2006, 01:48:18 AM »
Well, Spriggan, you are of course entitled to your opinion on that.

But by that standard, pretty much all of the media panels at LTUE are pathetic.  I doubt anyone involved in producing the latest Harry Potter movie will be there for the Goblet of Fire panel.  I don't think Joss Whedon or anyone who's worked on any of his shows will be on the Worlds of Joss Whedon panel.

Guess what?  People can still enjoy going to those panels, for the same reasons they enjoy talking about movies and shows with their friends.

In my experience, the media panels like this get a lot more audience involvement than the writing panels -- because you're right, there are people in the audience who are just as qualified to be sitting on the panel as the panelists.  So why aren't they on the panel?  Because they didn't bother to get involved beforehand.  I did bother, and in order to help out LTUE's organizers, I volunteered to be on media panels about things I happen to love watching, if they needed panelists.

So call it pathetic if you want.  I just happen to think sci-fi fans getting together to discuss their favorite shows is a good thing, not a bad one.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2006, 03:11:50 AM »
Then why not call it a bunch of fans getting together to talk about the show/movies/etc?  I don't think fans getting together is pathetic, I never said that either, what's pathetic is the con organizers setting up such panels to give off the illusion that they've managed to get people from those projects to be there like it gives the con more credibility or something.  They've even given the discussions topics that make it seam like there are insiders there.

If they just called these things "round table discussions" about your favorite shows with you and the other panelists as the moderators then there's nothing wrong with that.  Yet the con decided to purposely label these discussion in a way that's misleading to get more attendance, it's dishonest.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2006, 09:55:45 AM »
Oh, so now it's not just pathetic, it's dishonest?

Yeah, whatever, Spriggan.   If you really feel that way, complain to the BYU Honor Code office and start organizing a boycott of LTUE.
Eric James Stone

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

Oh, so now it's not just pathetic, it's dishonest?

Heck while we're at it why don't we add stupid, silly, cranky, not fresh, pasty, and Fahuzza to that list just for good measure.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:30:43 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 12:20:53 PM »
And off-topic...
Eric James Stone

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
I see the point of both "sides" of this argument, but I'd have to say I end up concluding it's only a matter of semantics.  Panel vs. Roundtable.  And when it's reduced to that, I have to give a big shrug.  I'm on some of the panels being decried here.  How did I get on them?  I sent an email to LTUE and told them what I have some semblance of expertise in: adaptation and YA lit.  I have taken numerous classes on the latter, and my MA emphasized the former.  So while I may not be an "insider," I think I know what I'm talking about--and I might go so far as to say I know a bit more than many in the audience.  LTUE is a small con, trying to look like a big one.  So they have high aspirations?  Many of the people who attend this one don't have the time/money/insert-other-reason-here to go to a big one.  Don't call them pathetic because of that--most people consider calling people names rude, and pathetic seems so harsh.

How about just plain old "sad"?   ;)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 01:19:07 PM »
I think the reason why Sprig and I are hesitant about LTUE is because it's *not* a con. At least, it isn't supposed to be. It's supposed to be an academic symposium, because BYU doesn't host "cons."

When I start to agree that it's dishonest is that LTUE doesn't act like an academic symposium in most regards. The only thing that makes it an academic symposium is how they've described it to the administration.

I mean this with absolutely no offense Eric, but frankly, a fan discussion of Stargate has no place at all at an academic symposium.

And yes, I've even presented at LTUE. I was on a panel about art in comics (and how it communicates the message) and presented a paper I wrote on the medium of comic books. I was hesitant to do that, but I decided to do it because the things I would be participating in were academic in nature.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 03:15:59 PM »
> but frankly, a fan discussion of Stargate has no place
> at all at an academic symposium.

Kind of like this discussion has no place at all in a thread about agents, publishers, and building a portfolio?
Eric James Stone

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 03:17:56 PM »
> but frankly, a fan discussion of Stargate has no place
> at all at an academic symposium.

Kind of like this discussion has no place at all in a thread about agents, publishers, and building a portfolio?

Wow someone hasn't been around this forum much, 2 pages is pretty much where things go off topic.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »
Woah.  I've been newbie smackdowned by a master.  I think I'll go to a corner and cry.

Eric James Stone

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 07:47:42 PM »
5 Fell Points(tm) to EricJamesStone, for making me laugh out loud.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 07:55:51 PM »
Oops! I didn't mean to throw the thread through a loop...oh, but I get it now. You were just demonstrating what a panel does, right? That must be it.  ;D

Sooo, when you say that this science fiction symposium isn't a con, does that mean that there are no publishers or agents there to talk to? (Do you like how I managed to somehow link this to the topic on hand?) There are authors there though? Maybe it's just a writer's conference to hone your writing skills? That should be interesting enough.
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »
lol they actually have a panel on the Stargate TV shows, that's pathetic.

So don't go and leave those who wish to in peace.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »
LTUE has never had much in the way of editors and agents, at least not since my first year in '96. Since then, like Spriggan said, it's been tending much more toward a fandom con and away from either a pro con or an academic symposium. And that's fine for those who want it, as Fish said, just don't go hoping to make valuable industry contacts.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
No editors or agents really, but they have a pretty good turn out on authors.  It's a good "con" to go to if you want to get your feet wet.  It's free, it's local, and if you're a writer, you might well come away with some good advice on how to improve your craft so that when you go to a real con--one with agents and editors to schmooze with--you'll be more prepared.