Author Topic: Agents/ publishers/ portfolio  (Read 8673 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Agents/ publishers/ portfolio
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 06:05:42 PM »
As primarily a fantasist (A term coined by EUOL, I believe),

No, I think that term's been around long before EUOL.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 07:35:39 PM »
Oh, hey! That makes sense...sending in different manuscripts!

Brilliant, Vivian! (Uh, that is such a random obscure movie quote, I don't expect anyone to recognize that one)

Steph
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 07:59:24 PM »
Sooo, to go along with the portfolio for science fiction, what are some of the things you've all done to build up the resume? Magazines? Other genres? Is this something that's important to publishers or does anybody know?

While I was working on my novel (I've only finished one, and I'm envious of those who have finished more, let alone gotten one published), my creative writing teacher suggested that I write some short stories in oder to "build a resume."

Since then, I've sold a half-dozen short stories at pro rates, but the question of whether that will help or not is still open, since I haven't quite gotten to the point of submitting the manuscript.

However, the short-story route is probably worth pursuing only if you're comfortable writing short stories.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
Who would you suggest sending short stories to? I'd love to get into that!

www.stephaniefowers.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
Short Stories are a good way to get started, but the pay scale isn't as good.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:05 PM »
It's only a good way to get started if you're good at writing short stories.  I know a lot of novelists who can't write a short story to save their lives, myself included.  It's a different medium entirely.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »
Who would you suggest sending short stories to? I'd love to get into that!

I suggest that you look at the SFWA qualifying markets (http://www.sfwa.org/org/qualify.htm#Q5), get some sample issues, and determine which of those markets are most likely to accept the kind of stories you write.

Beyond the SFWA-qualifying markets, look at other markets that either (a) pay pro rates (5 cents/word or better) or (b) are considered realtively prestigious in the gnre community. (A way to check the latter is to look at nominations for awards or selections for "Year's Best" anthologies.  If a lot of nominated stories come from a market, then it's probably prestigious.)  You can also look to see what short story markets authors you like have published in.

Once you get beyond the pro and prestige markets, you can still try to sell your story if you want, but that sort of credit is not really going to do much good in terms of impressing a publisher.
Eric James Stone

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 01:42:41 AM »
That is very informative (all of yous). Man, I wish I knew about this place a few months ago. I bet it really would have helped with my query letters. So, if I called it speculative fiction, that would be the better term? Or should I just stick with sci-fi? Votes?
I vote speculative fiction.

Has anyone here tried to write a screenplay? (maybe that's a completely different topic)
I may be taking a screenwriting class down here--my friend has almost got me convinced to do it. So, after that, I'll be able to spout off knowledge. As of now, I know nothing.

As for that guy who wrote a killer query letter and that publisher is looking at his stuff because of it...I should look up who that was...
That's Parker. Who actually knows a lot about film and may have screenwriting advice. He's even lecturing at LTUE about film and adaptation. (Yay! Go Bryce!)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

guitarbabe

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »
Chimera, I wish I had taken that class when I had the chance. When I was taking some creative writing classes at BYU, we got this email where we could've have made our stories into screenplays, kind of like a team effort with the film students, but I was too wrapped up in writing a novel at the time and I didn't want any distractions. I wish I had done it. I'd go for it. I had to get this 'for dummies book,' but it was a laborious process. If I was planning on writing more than one screenplay, I'd get this screenwriting program that they have.

So Parker, if you ever read this? Well, first what's LTU? I've actually written a screenplay of that novel I got published and gave it to a production company to look at, BUT how long is the waiting period? I don't want to  be pushy really, but when would it be appropriate to call and query about it? They've only had it for two months, but it's just a little bit different than manuscripts (because that's a pretty short waiting time for those), though I'm sure you know this already. Anyhoo, what's the most professional way to do this?

Side note: Chimera, I saw that Asian Backstreet boys thing the other month. We about died laughing. It seemed like something we would do.

www.stephaniefowers.com

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »
LTUE: Life, the Universe, and Everything, an annual, FREE con symposium held every Feb at BYU. It manages to attract a good crowd of professionals even though it's free to attend. (You just have to register is all.) Let's see, last year we had EUOL, stacer, EricJamesStone, Dave Wolverton, Jerry Pournelle, L. E. Modesitt. Jr., Robert J Defendi, Helge Moulding, David Howard, Howard Taylor, and more.

I had a great experience at last year's LTUE. I got to meet and hear David Howard, best known for the Galaxy Quest script. (Oh, how I love that flick!) I also got to see one of the magical critters from my novel transformed into concept art by Howard Taylor, who does the Schlock Mercenary comic. Wow, it was awesome to see my Tree Gifflet rendered into full-color concept art! Sure, not everything is captured quite as I'd envisioned, but it's darn cool nonetheless. 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:50:03 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 11:12:22 PM »
Finally got around to reading this thread, and I'm glad I did--since LTUE hadn't told me they had put me on 3 panels.  In fact, they had failed to mention they put me on any.  But now I know--and I'm even on a panel with Kevin J. Anderson, which is nice.  But it's at the same time as the writing for young adults panel . . . which is a bummer.  I'll have to have someone take notes over there for me.

Anyway--Guitar, as far as writing queries go, I haven't a clue.  The agent (not publisher) commented that he liked my synopsis a lot.  He didn't say anything about the query, which I sort of skipped.  My query involved a plane ticket to Madison to go to the World Fantasy Convention, and then a face to face conversation with the agent, followed by a personal recommendation by one of his clients.  So that went about as good as it could possibly go.  I recommend it highly.  ;)  As for the synopsis, I just tried to make it as representative of the feel and tone of my book as I could.

My advice on the whole write-as-a-career thing is what I'm doing myself.  I write as a hobby right now, and I'm not banking on it ever paying the bills.  Should that happen, it's icing on the cake--although I'm doing everything I can to try and make that happen.  I write because it's what I love to do.  It certainly takes up a lot of my time.  Write write write, send the manuscripts out, and try not to worry too much about the rest.  But what am I doing giving you advice?  You already have a book published, correct?  Congrats.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 11:21:43 PM »
lol they actually have a panel on the Stargate TV shows, that's pathetic.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:29 AM »
Ahem.  I'm on the Stargate panel.
Eric James Stone

guitarbabe

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »
Oh, that's LTU. Okay, I just didn't know the acronym for it. On the off chance of sounding stupid, what are you going to do on these panels? Are you all on the SAME panel? When? I want to go and ask you all questions or something...if that's what you do, that is. That would be great fun!

As for already publishing a book, man, that does seem like a fluke sometimes. I'm getting a kick out of it right now because some of the girls in my Relief Society just figured out that I wrote it (I just moved into a new ward) :'(.  Well, it's total Chick lit. The most unreal moment was when a girl at institute saw me check my name off on the roll and she actually recognized it...as more than just the annoying chick she heard so much about. Hee hee.

I can probably write more LDS genre books, and I will...(I love comedy), BUT they don't really seem to help with getting my sci-fi published...and like you said, writing doesn't really pay too well, not right now...even though I really love it. There's no way I can quit my dayjob or quit being a starving artist either. Oh well, it's more glamorous that way. Gives me more to write about too.

I am definitely doing that conference thing though. It sounds like everyone has had a really good experience with it. And tell me when that panel thing is happening too! I wanna see! Man, I'm demanding.

www.stephaniefowers.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 12:34:50 AM »
Ahem.  I'm on the Stargate panel.

Ya and why are you on a panel talking about what the show's future is?  What's your involvement with the show?  I probably worded my first statement wrong, what I should have said was "They've got a Stargate panel where it's only fanboys who know nothing about the TV industry are on and have no involvement in the show other then they watch it.  How pathetic."

Not to be rude Eric but it's rather silly to get a bunch of fanboys on a panel and talk like they're insiders on the TV show or movie and have more qualifications to be on that panel the the people in the audience.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.