Author Topic: Creepy Antagonists  (Read 4356 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy Antagonists
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 04:13:01 PM »
Crap. No! Of course not. Now I have to change it. It's not easy coming up with good bad-guy names.

Thanks, Tink, for the intel.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 04:16:59 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 04:18:14 PM »
I think Finger Lickin' Good would be an excellent name for a villain

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »
Write in a backstory about a person who used to be his friend, but whom he actually ended up killing for the power it would bring him. Show that he enjoys killing not only for the power, but just for the sake of killing as well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:05:25 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
Write in a backstory about a person who used to be his friend,, but whom he actually ended up killing for the power it would bring him. Show that he enjoys killing not only for the power, but just for the sake of killing as well.

What's  wrong with him killing only for the power?

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »
Greed is far too normal, it occurs every day. People are afraid of what they do not understand, and sadism, and taking pleasure from death are things that very few people have any basis for understanding.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »
I don't know, Archon--that seems to be the easy way out.  I think it would be far better--but more challenging--to make a creepy character that's completely understandable.  I find it very creepy when I can see how someone would do something despicable--when I see a piece of myself in that action.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
I agree with Parker
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:35 PM »
I was under the impression that she didn't want a character that people can relate to. The more people relate to a character, the more they empathize with that character, so if you want a really nasty character, you don't usually want the reader to be able to relate with them. There are, of course, exceptions, depending on what you want to do with the character. If they are going to end up doing something heroic, then you want to have some base for that. If they are supposed to be symbolic of certain human flaws, like greed, or vengefulness, then again it might be suitable to have the reader relate to the character. But if you just want a really scary villain, then for that type of character, you don't want them to be relatable (in my opinion), because their unpredictability, and their overwhelming cruelty is typically a large part of what drives the story forward. This is why I wanted to know more about the story before I commented, because it is hard to know what kind of character Nessa is going for without knowing what role they are supposed to play.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:46:24 PM by Archon »

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
True--looking back at her post, she did stipulate nasty more than creepy.  I guess I'm just focused right now on making a believable villain on my current novel, and I don't want a stock "nasty" one.  I really like Hrathen in Elantris.  Very believable, unique, nasty and creepy--but I could understand him.  He wasn't being nasty just for nasty's sake.  I find that far more intriguing as a character than any Sauron or Wicked Witch of the West or puppy-dog killer.  But books can certainly get their drive elsewhere--they can have a typical stock villain and focus on making other aspects unique and compelling.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 07:59:32 PM »
I knew a guy very briefly, at a job I had for one whole week, who wrote the coolest creepy stalker poetry you can imagine. That's not even a real genre, but he made it one just by sheer volume and quality. They were all first person conversations, the stalker talking to his victim; very Browning-esque. I wish I still had some of those.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 09:21:59 PM »
one thing that is instinctually frightenning of course is the unkown, I'm not saying make him mysterious... but in the way he moves and responds to stimuli, his actions should be quick and sudden, kind of like wild animal, they should be aggressive, and often more so than necessary for a given situation. also there shouldn't be any words, just actions, quick brutal and impulsive reflexes to all input. those guys always freak me out, you never know what they're about to do, but you always have a feeling that it's going to be bad, and that it's going to be directed toward you...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/