Author Topic: BYU's Writing for Young Reader's Conference  (Read 1547 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
BYU's Writing for Young Reader's Conference
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
I'm not sure where exactly to post this thread, so if the Powers that Be want to move it somewhere else, fine.  I'm just writing to give anyone who's interested a heads up about this conference.

Every summer, BYU has a writing conference aimed at writers of young adult and children's literature.  I attended last year, and it's really worth the while.  The biggest downside is the cost: $439.  However, for this money, you get a week's worth of writing workshopping with a professional author, contact with two major editors in the field and an agent.  If you live in the area, $439 really isn't all that much, seeing as how you'll have no travel or lodging costs.

Anyway, there are a few sections that might be of special interest to people on TWG.  Dave Wolverton is doing a section on science fiction and fantasy (though as of right now, there are only 2 spots left in his section), and there are also sections on mystery writing, beginning writing and general fiction.  (One on illustration, too--if that's your thing.)

The editors this year are Jill Davis from Bloomsbury and Tracy Gates from Viking.  The agent is Edward Necarsulmer IV from McIntosh and Otis.

You can also just register for the conference portion (no workshopping) for $109.

Anyway--if you're interested, check out the webpage or post here and I'll try to answer your questions.  I'm the assistant for the Sci-fi/Fantasy section this year.

http://ce.byu.edu/cw/writing/