Author Topic: Air frequencies/ Research junk  (Read 2374 times)

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
Air frequencies/ Research junk
« on: May 08, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »
Hey guys, are there any electrical engineers out there I can email privately? I'm trying to come up with research for my Prank Wars book, and I'm writing about an electrical engineer grad student (they're the ones who work on cellular and microwave frequencies right?) If none of you are, any good websites out there that explain how they work? I'm trying to come up with a conspiracy.

And here's the crazy thing. I looked up cellular frequencies and there are sites that say cellular phones are dangerous and that they won't allow towers to be built too near elementary schools AND then I talked to engineers and they say that's a bunch of bologna. So, what's your take on it? Anyone? Anyone?

Here's a couple of crazy theories that I've heard (and just can't bring myself to try).

1--you can hear cell phone conversations when you put your ear next to a microwave (but then the site said not to try it because you'd give yourself some crazy radiation). One of my engineering friends said that was stupid--I would be hearing no cellular conversations. 2--My friend said that a friend of a friend of a friend, put a cell phone in a microwave and called it and blew the microwave up (without turning the microwave on).

Is everyone messing with me? I told you how I started the microwave accidentally while talking on the cell phone and I set a metal can on top of the microwave. My brother says I probably touched a button or something without knowing, but there were no beeps and the microwave stopped as soon as I pulled the can away from the microwave. He then said it was probably static electricity, except why didn't I get shocked when I touched the can and I didn't move after I set it on the microwave (and then promptly off)?  The trick never worked again btw and then my managers took the microwave away and gave us a newer microwave (not because of anything I said).

So, maybe it was some sort of wierd coincidence, but my question is...what do cell phone and microwave frequencies have in common?
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Air frequencies/ Research junk
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
They'll both Episcopalian Democrats, of course! ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »
I was an EE major for a couple of years . . . it's about time I put it to good use. :P

You will *not* be able to hear cell phone conversations using a microwave oven. I guarantee it. Some wireless technology (like wireless compuers) use the same frequencies as microwave ovens, but sticking your head next to a microwave won't let you talk to your computer either.

About putting a cell phone in the microwave, I sincerely doubt it would blow up the microwave. More likely, if you call it, it won't even ring--the microwave is designed to shield the microwave energy from escaping, and vice versa.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »
And starting the microwave by touching it with a metal can while on the cell? Any ideas?

For sure I'll have to email you. I totally got laughed at by some BYU professors when I tried to ask them about some possible inventions (apparently the world has already come up with them--boy am I behind on the times), although one of the professors was nice to me. But he was just going on a really long trip.

Hmmm, so let me brainstorm some possible ideas and then can I put some past you?--Oldie Locks?--heh heh, that feels awkward calling you that. How about I just call you Junior or something?
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
I am not an EE, but sticking a CD in the microwave for 3 seconds is fun. (Best with the lights off. And don't do it with any CD that's important!)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!