Author Topic: BYU's Books for Young Readers Symposium  (Read 1582 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
BYU's Books for Young Readers Symposium
« on: July 01, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
Just wanted to give everyone in the area a head's up about this symposium. It is happening July 13-14 at BYU. I actually haven't been before, but am going to try to make it this year. It is different from BYU's Writing Conference and more like the UVSC conference in that there isn't any workshopping. I imagine that the lectures will be informative and useful, and it will be a great place to network. BYU always manages to get top-quality authors and illustrators from the children's and YA publishing field for this--last year they had Garth Nix, and this year they have Nancy Farmer (two of my favorite authors).

Here's the website so you can read about the registration fees, authors/illustrators, and the tentative schedule. Nancy Farmer has awards for practically every book she's written--my favorite being The House of the Scorpion. P. J. Lynch is a talented illustrator--he illustrated one of our family's Christmas Classics, The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey, and The Bee-Man of Orn is just breath-taking. Shannon Hale is a local Utahn who just received the Newbery Honor (and another of my favorite YA fantasy authors). I'm not familiar with the other guests' work.

My friend Paul Linsley will be at the conference, and if I go, it will probably be just on Friday. It doesn't list this on the website but I found out that if you want to do a single day it is $104 for Thursday (which includes the banquet dinner) and $74 for Friday. Post here to let me know if any of you decide to go!

And don't forget to come to Paul's book signing!  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"