Author Topic: how to plan/Writing depression  (Read 1621 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
how to plan/Writing depression
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:26:29 AM »
This is not asking you how you already write, what your habits are. I want specific recommendations on processes and specific activities.

My writing has felt inadequate lately. I'm completely stumped on how to improve a section of my novel I'm working on. And I don't know how to start another one. It's not a lack of ideas. i have more ideas written down already than I'll ever use. It's a matter of getting those ideas to work together, and once they are together, how to do an entire novel without doing something stupid to get to the next point.

So, how is it done?

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: how to plan/Writing depression
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »
I would suggest that you write something stupid to get to the next point. That gets you writing, and then later, you can get a better idea of how things can fit together, when you can better see the plot, as a whole. Since you will most likely want to rewrite when you are done anyway, it's just a matter of going back and changing things around.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 02:57:11 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
That's what's got me stuck. I'm on the second draft of the novel I'm working with.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
Have you considered writing all of your ideas down on a large piece of paper. Circle each idea. Then draw lines between each idea that seems connected, perhaps with an explaination of how they are connected. You could also rate how strong the connection is between ideas (number or line color or width).

Does that help?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
that is a lot better. it's soemthing to consider

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 12:41:23 AM »
MsFish was talking about this a while back, and she said something that I've noticed intuitively about other books but rarely think about when I'm writing: Forget plot, think about conflict. What is motivating your characters? What is the natural result of what they want? What is the main problem of the story, and how will the character solve it? If you think about that, then it might be easier to figure out what the character does in specific situations.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing