Author Topic: Writing Group 2  (Read 59652 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Writing Group 2
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 08:51:45 AM »
They psycho stalker is an important demographic to my writing.

Anyway, we've got plenty of people. I'm coming up, so you'd better get this party started. Because of Family Home Evening, Monday's a bad day. Tues and Wed nights are not good for Shrain's Class. Friday night is not good for Robert. I guess that leaves Thursday night. Is everyone good with that? I'm thinking 9 eastern, 7 mountain, 6 pacific, and I guess that means 10am Taiwan.

Are there problems with this time?

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
Thursdays, 9 EST, would be perfect for me.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »
Out of curiousity, I'm guessing that you guys aren't doing this via online posts due to the need to set a time. What's the communication format?
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 07:39:36 PM »
That works great for me.  And yeah, how are we doing this?  I assume one of the various IM systems?  I'm on MSN, AIM, and Yahoo myself.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 09:10:45 PM »
It's usually IM (MSN) or IRC, depending on what everyone has accounts for. It's pretty easy to set up an IRC account (and this from someone not very savvy about those kinds of things).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:11:14 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »
All I have is MSN, but I suppose I could find out how to get whatever the majority has.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »
MSN
YIM
AIM

I've any of those, though I prefer the first two.  AIM is buggy at best.

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
I have YIM for sure. But I think I have an old MSN account I can activate. If not, I can get one and then use IM. That's probably what we should use since SE already does.

So when do we want to start the rotations? Do we want to critique just one story/chapter per session or maybe two? Probably just one, I'm thinking. Isn't that how the Abrige Speculists group does it, SE? Anyway, we could meet three times a month so that it doesn't take as long to get thru the rotation. What do you think?

Hey, Rosencrantz, are you still interested?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 02:54:24 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

precious-jules

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 04:16:48 PM »
Well, I am going to bow out of the writer's group idea.  I just crunched my schedule and realized I need five of me to keep up with what I'm doing.  If I don't get my next novel into Deseret Book within the next two months, I will likely tick off my editor and then I'll be back on the twinkie diet due to stress. And I can't work on the novel until I finish the tech manual I already got paid to write.  So I apologize and know you will all survive without me (I can already hear the collective sigh of relief)  ;D

Good luck, and if it's possible in a couple of months to crash your writer's group, would you still have me or would it be too late?
"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »
No problem. Don't feel guilty or anything. When you do have a freer schedule, check back with us. Good luck with all your deadlines!
--Spriggan

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 02:35:30 AM »
Yes, I'm still quite interested.  7 Provo time, thursday, you say?  I have Brandon's class every thursday until 7:20, technically, though we usually get out earlier.  I also have Leading Edge at 7:30 on thursday and I just made a promise to start going more.  Sooooo.... basically that and tuesdays are the only night of the week I actually have something going on.  If that's the only night available to you guys, I might just have to beg out.  Or, I'll submit comments and stuff in absentia.  For referance, I have MSN and AIM (though I use Trillian for overall governance)  Well, let me know.

precious-jules

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »
Thanks Shrain! I appreciate the offer of being allowed to play.
"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
De nada, jules.

Rosencrantz: shoot, it's too bad you can't meet on Thur. :( Bad news is that I think Thur is the night we all had available. Good news is that you could try joining the Speculists group if you can meet when they do. That way you wouldn't have to be an "absent" member. Sorry about that, though.

Okay, so it looks like we've got:
Shrain
SE
Robert_Boyd
Jena
Mistress of Darkness
Lightning Eater
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:12:42 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2006, 09:52:38 AM »
ok, the above list, meeting on Thursday.

Who submits first? I'm beginning work on the actual second draft of The Heir of Ungrith (instead of just planning it), and I expect to have the first five chapters in a couple weeks. so if we're meeting every week, I'll be happy to go Mar 16. Someone else should step up for  Mar 9, though. I suppose if someone has something ready RIGHT NOW they could send it out for a meeting on Mar 2 (This coming Thursday). Volunteers?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »
Um, I won't be able to submit right away. :( I'm revising Ch 1 big-time for my Emerson writing group--something I've been wanting to do but kept making myself put off. I get in this editorial revising loop that can keep me from writing new stuff. However, this group wants a better handle on my world (they've only read ch 1 and ch 7). So I won't be ready to send something out this week. Sorry!

You know, I keep telling my group that I can't be expected to fit *everything* about my world solely into chapter 1 and that the synopsis I gave them should help them grasp this new setting. But I have two additional scenes I've been needing to put in ch. 1 anyhow. The cool thing is that they love my characters enough that they don't mind reading ch. 1 again.

So I guess I'll bow to their demands. (shrug) Once I do that, though, I'll have chs 1-7 to submit in intervals over the next few months whenever my rotation comes up! Plus I'll be pressing forward. :D

Does anyone have something for Mar. 9th?? And do we want to meet 3x or 4x a month?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 05:37:42 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan