Author Topic: Writing Group 2  (Read 59731 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Writing Group 2
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »
lol. Yeah, no harm so long as you guys fight word-to-word; no weapons of any kind. ;D

Dang! I was going to bring a bat'leth to the first meeting.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
Ah-ha! I know your tricks and manners, SE. Keep in mind that I'll call Skar in to do pat-downs for bat'leths and pain sticks if I hafta.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:31:01 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »
If you need to pat someone to see if they have a Bat'leth, then I probably have a good chance of sneaking in something much smaller and much more effectively deadly.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »
Hey, people can be very creative with how they conceal stuff. Given the right costume and a sufficiently refrigerator-size physique, a fellow could sneak in a lot of questionable items. (See, you have to remember that I've never met you before, and you're "god" to me. So can I help it if I've pictured you as larger than life. ;))

Anyhow, do you know of anyone I might want to message about joining this 2nd group. People who might not have read this part of the board? I'd like to get a few more writers on board, esp. since Izzy is so close to having her baby.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »
/me ponders

I'll get back to you on that.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 02:36:13 PM »
Yes, please ponder while I keep staring hypnotically at this giant, color-shifting "e" I have discovered. Ooh, look now it's blue. No, brown, no . . .
--Spriggan

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 12:07:56 AM »
I'm interested in joining a writing group assuming it's all done online & stuff (I'm in Taiwan at the moment so meeting in person may be a tad difficult).  Would be useful to get some more opinions on the stuff I'm writing for my book & critiquing other people's work is fun too.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »
Can you meet at a time that would be an evening in the US (probably middle of the day or in the morning in Taiwan -- I'm too lazy to look up the actual time offset.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 11:38:57 AM »
Hi, Robert. We'd love to have you in the group if you can meet during the evenings our time. Also, we can't meet on Tue or Wed nights because I've got classes. So hopefully those two things won't keep you from participating.
--Spriggan

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:53:39 PM »
I'd be able to join, but I haven't gotten around to writing until about half a year ago so I don't know how good I'd be.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 10:01:09 PM »
Ah-ha! I know your tricks and manners, SE. Keep in mind that I'll call Skar in to do pat-downs for bat'leths and pain sticks if I hafta.

Skar? What? Where? I'm so there!

Oh man, now I feel guilty for my merciless teasing...maybe it will go away?
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
For reference, Friday, 10:00am here in Taiwan is Thursday, 6:00pm in California.

US evenings actually work great for me since I work in the evenings (teach at an English cram school) and am free every morning except for Saturday (so Friday in the US).  Work starts for me at 2pm (well, I have to be at work then although I usually just read a book until I actually have to start teaching) so it needs to be sometime before 10pm California time.

Oh, and I guess a quick introduction wouldn't be out of order.  Name's Robert, age 25, LDS.  Graduated from BYU last year.  Took a couple sci-fi/fantasy courses while I was there including the creative writing class taught by Brandon & Sally.  Very slowly working on a novel called Krystal Unbalanced (light comic YA fantasy).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:53:37 PM by Robert_Boyd »

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »
They have a thread for introductions here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1051196804;start=105

(How do you put links in a word instead of writing the URL?)

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 12:33:14 AM »
Hey, Robert, we were in the same class. Huh, imagine that. I'm sure I'd recognize you but I didn't recognize your name! Ironic. But everyone sort of kept to their writing groups and the class was big. So I didn't get to know all that many people. Do you remember me at all? (I'm Sarah; I was in the group w/ Luke, Erin, and Andrea over in the corner. I brought some tasty fat-free muffins a few times.) Who else was in your group? It'll be cool to have you in this group! :)

Lightning, here's the little URL trick (as taught to me by the all-powerful SE):
BRACKETurl=http://www.yourlinkhere.comBRACKETYour Title HereBRACKET/urlBRACKET

Naturally, I had to write out "bracket" instead of using them or else you wouldn't be able to see the code. Well, SE managed to explain the trick more elegantly, but this gives you the idea.

Welcome to the group.

I think Jena is going to join too. Yay!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:38:37 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 04:03:28 AM »
Cool.  No, I don't remember you by name Sarah, but I probably would recognize you if I saw you.  I was in the group with Lori-Ann, Pam, and another girl who showed up maybe twice during the whole semester (forgot her name).  Our group met in the other room and had the hardest time trying to stay focused.

I went ahead and posted on the introduction thread in greater detail.  Just posted the initial introduction so that you would all know that I wasn't some psycho stalker or something.  Though that would make things interesting... ;)