Author Topic: Writing Group 2  (Read 59683 times)

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Re: Writing Group 2
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
Sooo...this week.  Thursday March 9th, 7 PM MST, 9 PM EST, writing group through MSN messenger.  We're reviewing Robert's piece.  If you didn't get it dogpile on him and get it sent your way.  :)

BTW...Shrain did you get the write up on your stuff?  I haven't heard from you and want to make sure I didn't cause anything else to explode.  No burst veins or anything.  :)

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2006, 05:27:27 PM »
Well, you've really done it this time, Jena. I had to special order a couple pints of AB+ thanks to your literary bloodletting. Ouch.

lol. I'm kidding, naturally. Anyway, yes, I did get the comments. Thanks so much! I haven't had time to read thru all of them, because I'm working on this huge project for this prof I work for. Blah.

I'm really hoping that your feedback helps me figure out how to simplify C'Nia's magic w/o totally getting rid of it because that presents a whole load of other problems. Hmm, we'll see. I will go through everything before we meet tomorrow night, just in case a few of you want to hang around and bat some more ideas back and forth.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2006, 11:56:15 PM »
Oh, Great and Powerful SE, why hast thou foresaken us? We met without thee last night. *pouts*
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2006, 01:30:38 AM »
Thanks a bunch for all your comments guys.  It was very grueling, but useful.  Sorry you couldn't make it e.

And thanks for the advice Jena about being able to say at any time "Sorry guys, but this part of the story is still under construction on the moment, enough with the questions, you can critique it when it's down on paper."

I think we need to lay some more guidelines for the structure of the meeting.  Since this was the first one, it was understandably rather chaotic.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
I wasn't there because I suxxor. However, I did kill J'Nah and befriend Deekin the kobold bard. Does that make up for it?

(I forgot! Even though I was thinking about it all day!)
Someone send me a log and I'll respond to it in an  email to Mr. Boyd.

Normally structure involves the writer asking questions about specific concerns, then turning it over to the others to bring up their concerns that hte writer didn't address. The writer is the one in charge. He says when we move on. Too much speculation about what happens in the future is usually not productive.

Anyway, I'm *really* sorry. I'm a stupid head.

Are we still on for next week? the 16th? I feel too guilty to submit my chapters for then at this point, having missed last night. So someone else can go.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Hmm. I didn't save the conversation 'cuz I thought Robert was. Then I found out he didn't since it would've just been in Chinese. lol. He took notes, though. I could also email my typed up comments, if you want, you forgetful jones! ;)

Oh, and I think it's good to have the author ask a few questions up front about his/her concerns and *then* have him/her enter the Zone of Silence so we can discuss without undue influence. I like starting off with stating the postive stuff, too.

We definitely need to appoint a time referee, though! Otherwise we'll quickly become the Neverending kind of group.

Edit: I think Jena's going next, btw. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:19:34 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Yeah, my computers are being sutpid right now so I can't submit.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2006, 06:41:48 PM »
Smooth move E!  Though we still luff ya anyway.

I have a log of the evening, but it's on my home computer.  I'll see about cleaning it up and sending it out for those that want it.

I do think adding a little bit of structure would be helpful to our meetings, since we have shown in the last two that we do tend to get going.  :)

My thoughts were a couple fold:

1:  When a work is submitted to the group some additional information to go in the email.

.) The intended audience.  YA, for example, is a broad span of folks.  The language considerations and such is different based on the age of the audience.  Gender concerns may also come into play.  The Anne of Green Gables books are written very specifically for girls and women.  Doesn't mean men can't read them or don't enjoy them, but it changes the expectation of the readers.

.) How complete is the work?  Is this the first time scribble on something without much fleshing out having gone into it?  Or the first chapter of something that's been entirely completed?

2:  I really like the idea of starting with the positive and ending with supportive suggestions and positive.  No, we don't need to be blowing hot air, but it's much easier to face rewrites and such if you feel like there are redeeming things that are worth the effort of fixing.

3:  The "Zone of Silence" is a good thing, but then everyone else needs to be quiet and give the author a chance to address the points that are brought up, both the positive and the negative.  I think we kept cutting Robert's train of thought off last night and want to keep things moving forward in a way that is helpful for everyone.

More ideas as they strike me.

~J

You know you wanna...

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2006, 06:57:41 PM »
Good. Very good. I agree on all counts.

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
I agree that the writer ought to be the one in charge of the structure making sure to give everyone a little time to address concerns that the writer didn't address.  As long as the writer is thick-skinned and doesn't get all defensive, I think we can do away with the zone of silence.

EDIT: Don't worry about sending your submission to us this week e.  I'm looking forward to reading it. :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:01:23 PM by Robert_Boyd »

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2006, 11:53:13 PM »
I agree.  E...go ahead and send to us.  I'll be ready for next week.

~J

You know you wanna...

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2006, 11:57:40 PM »
I was talking to Lightning Eater about the Writing Group and at one point he said he'd still be able to come to at least half of the meetings, including this week's, if that's okay with everyone. So can whoever's submitting to remember to send it to him too?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:58:17 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »
Lucky your you, SE, we're a forgiving bunch. ;) I'm fine with reading your submission next, too.
--Spriggan

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2006, 11:27:24 AM »
Thanks a bunch for everything guys.  Thanks to:

1) your comments at the writing meeting
2) church today
3) me reading the first half of Matilda by Roald Dahl on the way home from church
4) a comment from one of my friends that it'd be funny if Sirak wore glasses

I've come up with some big ideas and major changes that I'm really excited about.  It's not really that I'm changing the destination so much as that I've discovered a route that I think will make the getting there so much more elegant and interesting. :D

This week - brainstorming up my basic outline.  Next week - Conquer the world! (I mean write like a maniac).

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Uhm... it's not here with me. HOw late is too late?