Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2006  (Read 18766 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2006
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2006, 06:14:38 PM »
My friend finished his first nano in 9 days. He is now working on his second one. I am wanting to cut him up into tiny pieces and feed him to dogs. Bwah. =P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2006, 07:13:11 PM »
I don't blame you.  :P
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2006, 07:43:50 PM »
I signed up.  Don't know how far I'll get, seeing as how I just did it.  Eh.  It'll be a good exercise in insanity.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2006, 04:50:17 PM »
I got to 30,003 last night, which brings me officially back on schedule
Edit: Actually, on schedule would have been 30,006, so technically, I'm still three words behind it.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or did Spriggan say that that there could potentially be a forum award for finishing NaNoWriMo?

Finally, is this the first non-Spriggan post on the new forum?
Edit2: Nevermind, Entropy got it, I missed it because his name is Spriggan right now. But on the other hand, "first non-Spriggan post" is still true, so I can still go around saying that I was the first non-Spriggan poster, without technically being lying. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:04:14 PM by Lightning Eater »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »
Speaking of which, is it just me, or did Spriggan say that that there could potentially be a forum award for finishing NaNoWriMo?

I did, read about it here
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=4982.0
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »
Cool, I'll finally be more than a peasant . . . just 15,000 words to go.   

I'm finding that there are all kinds of unexpected rewards to doing NaNoWriMo.  But the one I read this morning in "No Plot? No Problem!"   (by Chris Baty) looks most intriguing: "One fringe benefit of wiring a book is being seen by those around you in the new, vastly sexier light of your novelist status." (p. 151)

Could this be true?   And if so, is this the Real reason so many people are doing NaNoWriMo?

(Just 15,000 words more. . .   I wonder what my wife will think?)
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2006, 11:08:31 PM »
I would have to go with yes. Yes, it is.

The past year I didn't finished, I just complained about not being able to finish and being a crappy writer. This year however, I'm just gonna tell the ladies that I finished a novel. Then, they will adore me and swoon to my body (because I'm awesome like that). Finally, I know why I haven't finished a nano, but that's a discussion for another time.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2006, 09:57:10 PM »
My two main goals for the last week of NaNoWriMo:

1) Finish the novel - not just get the word count but have the story finish.

2) Adjust my life so that the daily writing sessions can be a regular part of my day.  Part of the idea of NaNoWriMo is to ignore regular life, to neglect nearly everything but writing.   I want to practice balancing everything so that in December I can keep writing WITHOUT neglecting everything else.

Have any of you had success with number 2?   Do you have any pointers for me?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »
Just a reminder to all you NaNoWriMo people, make sure to post you totals here and PM me about reaching the goal by December 7th (Thursday) if you want the snazzy award for 2006.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2006, 03:40:22 PM »
That award is really nifty.

Makes me almost want to try writing a 50k word novel tonight.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »
I'm a NaNoWriMo winner!  (You're supposed to brag about winning, aren't you?)   I'll post my final word count after tomorrow.  I need to write a conclusion to my novel tonight.

Chris Baty said:
 "One fringe benefit of writing a book is being seen by those around you in the new, vastly sexier light of your novelist status."

I'm not sure if I feel any different but these before and after pictures have me wondering.

Last Friday before winning NaNoWriMo:
http://www.blaskan.nu/Bilder/marty_feldman.jpg

Monday morning I woke up and looked like this:
http://www.supanet.com/media/00/05/59/bondmen_connery210.jpg

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2006, 03:42:59 AM »
Congrats, Hauf.  So does this mean we'll be seeing some regular submissions from you in writing group?  Which novel did you choose to write, by the way?

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
Just a reminder to all you NaNoWriMo people, make sure to post you totals here and PM me about reaching the goal by December 7th (Thursday) if you want the snazzy award for 2006.

60584 words

http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=128744

Hey, I win an award!

Thanks, Parker.  It was all new.  And as expected it's a total mess.  It needs major work.  And it might not be worth the effort.  But I must say NaNoWriMo has given me some confidence that I lacked previously.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »
I didn't make it this year. But, I did write 20,000+ words that I wouldn't have written otherwise. And, considering what's being going on in my life, that is quite an accomplishment. Plus, I really enjoy what I've written and think I can actually finish this novel. So, I'm proud of myself.

My goal for next month is to write another 20,000 words. Taking everything into account, including my health and temperment, I think that is a challenging yet attainable goal. Plus, I did it once, so I know I can do it again. By then I should be 2/3 done with my novel. Then, if I write another 20,000 words in January, I should have a finished novel by February. Yay!

Hauf--I'm not exactly sure how to incorporate writing into normal life, except to set aside writing time everyday or every week--some set time that you sit down and write. Even if you don't feel like it. Even if you have writer's block and hate your characters. Then, eventually, you'll train your mind and body to expect this "writing time" and it will come. That's what I'm trying to do, at least. And it's working, for the most part.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2006, 06:33:08 AM »
So only 2 people completed NaNo this year?  Remember, if you did to let me know because I'll be handing out the awards this week.