Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2006  (Read 18756 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2006
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »
Yeah, no cheating!  >:( (At least, don't tell us about it.)  ;)

My challenge will be to decide on one project for NaNo. I suffer from Writer's ADD--I tend to want to work on 10 things at once, when my creative juices are really flowing. And, I've had 7 really great novel ideas just in the last three months, all of which I've started pre-writing and mildly plotting (not to mention the previous 15 or so novels I've been working on since high school). So, I'm going to force myself to stick as much as possible to one novel for NaNoWriMo--I can't rule out short stories and picture books, though. I have to allow myself some variety, or I burn out.

Question for everyone: when you have several ideas/projects that appeal to you, how do you decide which one to give top priority? The one that gets you the most excited? The one that seems the simplest? The one that is the most unusual?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »
I cheat that way, I suppose. I try to take the ideas I have for other stories, and use them in whatever story I happen to be writing at the time. So, I would pick the story that is most original, or the story that you have the most material for, and run with it. Then, I see if I can't integrate the other ideas later on. I think that you will find that, even if the other ideas seem completely out of sync with the story you are writing, you will be able to use more of them than you might think.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 10:33:11 AM »
I've decided Chim, that I'm going to do some research. Anyone know of any good Ninja history/story books that I could buy from say amazon or somewheres?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 08:06:49 PM »
Secerets of the Samurai is a very good, but long, history/reference book dealing with the martial arts styles, culture and political climate of japan from about the 1500s through the 1800s.  It reads like a text book though, so it may not be for you, but you'll be hard pressed to find a book more detailed and comprehensive as this one.

Not too much on Ninjas but despite their popularity in now-a-days they were quite rare and usually just rogue Samurai.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:09:01 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »
Yeah, the lady in the bookstore told me they've had a sudden flood of pirate books (mostly childrens however) on the subject. Ninjas, not so much-so.
                William S. Burroughs

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 02:18:26 AM »
So in the children's book corner of the age old pirates vs. ninja debate, pirates appear to be winning.

I don't know if research counts as cheating. It's okay in my book.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 09:23:38 AM »
No, it's not cheating.

/me checks what he previously said.

Yep, I never said anything about cheating.

I find (or better, hope) that this will help create a more vivid picture for the landscape I intend to present in my nano.

And it's not just a children's debate. My friends and I constantly bicker over the awesomeness of ninjas and pirates on a daily/weekly basis. In fact, I'd say we waste plenty of time over this debacle. So, hmph.
                William S. Burroughs

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 09:11:38 AM »
1) on cheating: the nano website specifically says that planning your NaNo is permitted. And I would actually encourage it.

2) on choosing: choose the best developed idea so you spend less time thinking about what's supposed to come next or how a character should react and more time writing. The more comprehensive you concept of the book's plot, characters, and themes, the larger percentage of your time will be sped writing instead of stumbling around in the dark

3) on ninjas: my research indicates that most ninja were peasants, which is why they didn't typically use swords. Samurai could get a sword, peasants couldn't.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 09:20:44 AM »
there is a word counter that you must use to officially "win" but it's just on their web site, and the actual writing is never made available for viewing. I don't believe they even save a copy.

incidentally, i really encourage you to go for it. I'm not doing it this year, but the two years I did do it were very fulfilling.

Speaking of a word counter, where did you and Fell get the ones that you used last year for the blogs?

Your pet rock was fulfulling?
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 10:51:19 AM »
It's an excel file. let me dig it up, update it for this year, and I'll upload it

edit: erm.. it's on my flash drive. earliest this will happen is tomorrow.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »
I think I'm writing a CRPG for this years Nano.  Should be fun.  Then I can program through December.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »
It's an excel file. let me dig it up, update it for this year, and I'll upload it

edit: erm.. it's on my flash drive. earliest this will happen is tomorrow.

Okay, cool, thanks. Seeing as how I won't need it until November this delay is no problem.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 09:14:06 AM »
NaNoWriMo Report Card

It's pretty self explanatory if you take the time to look at it. there are little notes for most of the fields to explain. I have a goal set for 2000 words a day, but that's adjustable. You need to do 1,667 if you write every single day.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy.

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »
Go Me!   I signed up, and I've got a few ideas. I do have one big question though: do you think the whole talking sword thing is to overdone? Even for this?
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
I think I'm writing a CRPG for this years Nano.  Should be fun.  Then I can program through December.

That's kind of what I did last year, I made a game during that time.  Got most of it done but graphics and level design, also worked out bugs afterwords too.

I'm tempted to do a Tactical RPG engine this month, or code a wizardry/ultima dungeon style game.  Since I'm not much of a writer I don't care much about doing a story, I just try to get the game engine done and then as much of the graphics as I can.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.