Author Topic: Tabletop rules  (Read 2790 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Tabletop rules
« on: November 04, 2003, 05:57:12 PM »
Okay, so now that the setting is done, i want to be on any tabletop related committee. After all, on the board, only me, fell, mustard and Mr P have related our tabletop playing habits.

Plus : damn thats a lot to read on a monitor. I wish i was still at college, i'd just print the lot out on their printers.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Tabletop rules
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 08:04:26 PM »
Well, the setting isn't DONE. You may want the details on the various nations before making army lists and such.
And it'd be nice if the RPG and the Tabletop used similar systems so conversions are easy.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 08:34:23 PM »
That could be problematic. You see, RPG's are far too detailed for big combats. You would spend 2 hours on each turn. But it depends on how large scale you want the game. If only 5 guys a side, you could just use the RPG rules. If 2000, then you will need a large degree of abstration (each model = 100 guys as an example) to get it going at a decent pace. And abstract systems often have very limited stats for each guy - DBA (main ancients ruleset) only gives them a catagory (eg, Kn = Knight - +3 vs foot, +4 vs cavalry).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 08:35:41 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 08:41:01 PM »
I didn't say identical, just similar. It's been done before.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 03:09:08 PM »
And not all RPGs handle big combats slowly.

Savage Worlds handles all combat quickly.  We ran a game with about 25 troops a side and it took little more than a half hour.  It also has a mechanic for fighting batttles of massive armies and resolving it abstractly while still allowing for the PCs to interact and make a difference.

Legend of the Five Rings also has a combat system that moves really fast, mainly due to its shear deadliness.  Also a mechanic for army battles which is fast and allows the PCs to make tactical decisions.

I think LotR is like this too, but Slant would have to back me up on that...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 05:27:35 PM »
Pendragon as well, has a great mass combat resolution, without having to tweak anything if the gm wants the combat result determined by the story, or randomly during the game. It's nice and versatile. This one goes quickly too.
LOTR has a provision for mass combat, but I don't remember enough of it right now.