Alternate Realities > TW(i)G

World creating

(1/3) > >>

Spriggan:
Ok so i'm trying to figure this out and frankly the internet isn't helping much.

If I've got a river that's between 30-40 feet deep and about 1-1.5 miles wide and it raises 10 feet (due to annual flooding) how much land on each side will be coverd in the flood waters?  I know there's probaly some way useing your "Math" to figure this out which I have no clue how to do.

Spriggan:
Ok after a few hours of searching, you'd think this would be easier to find, the Nile (wich is about 30-40 feet deep and around 2-2.5 miles along the 1000 or so miles that egypt coved) would raise about 10-15 feet and would flood up to 3 miles in some places.  And the flood plains would cover roughly 20,000 and 34,000 square kilometres.

So I'm thinking for mine that it would flood between 1.5- 2 miles would seam fair.  However I do find this kinda hard to beleave that raiseing the water level 25% would flood that much land (effectivly doubbling the niles width in most places).  Any thoughts on this?  You don;t have to be involved in TW(i)G to help out here.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
The problem is that you're not taking into account volume, jsut height. how far on the banks that would get flooded depends on how steep the sides are. If the land doesn't rise more than 10 feet above the level of the river for miles away fromt he river's normal banks, than if the river rises 10 feet, it's going to cover all of that land. Yes, it takes a LOT more volume to cover that, so if you have less water, it won't rise as high. Basically, you can choose how far it is. Just remember, the further out it floods, the more water will have to come somewhere from the south to flood it.

Spriggan:
Ya I figured some of that.  I think I've got it where I like if for the most part.  There are one or two places where it floods for 2+ miles but most are less.  Who knows what causes it, it could be several things depending on what we actualy put farther in.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
Yeah, the Egyptians had no scientific clue about what did it to the nil, so there's no reason for us to have to detail it right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version