Author Topic: Population  (Read 4836 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Population
« on: May 23, 2004, 08:41:08 AM »
Have any of give much thought to what the Populations of the various countries should be?

I'm thinking Parth is between 5-10 million people (which could easly be feed from the farms around the rivers) and maybe Tarth half that.

Discuss....
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Population
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 09:02:28 AM »
5-10 million is a LOT. Though it may be accurate for a medieval time. However, we're talking about a desert area.
For reference, Egypt when the Israelites left was about 2 million. COUNTING the Israelites.
When I start to care about anything today, I'll look up some medieval statistics

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 09:06:05 AM »
Egypt in the new kingdom was around 10 million if I remember correctly.  Remeber that saitation was better in classical times so populations were actauly bigger in most cases compaired to the Middle ages where desease kept that from happening.

EDIT: ok in the New Kingdom (around 1,500-1,000 BC) it was about 6-7 million so I was close.  One thing I do have to account for is the several hundered miles of grassland which would add several thousand to my running total.  I'm thinking 5-6 million might be a good place for the worlds first nation (as the Parths see themselfs).  then maybe 2 for Tarth (there's just less good land there).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 09:15:43 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 09:49:13 AM »
I need to add one more thing here.  Which is the Captial of Parthann, Pirkash, I'm planning on it being the largest city in the southern contnet.  I can only see Bask or Tyl haveing the possibility of haveing a larger city.  But Bask is limited in that it's an island (with mountains) and I have no ide what SE is planning on for Tyl.  I was planning the population of over a million.  The city itself is going to be like Tokyo in that Tokyo isn't actualy a city (well there's a few square miles that are actualy considered "Tokyo") but a lot of smaller cities that just became known as a collective.  There will be an actual city of Pirkash, but it is the home of the goverment, most of the schools, musems, zoos ect.  It's kinda like D.C. in that very few people actualy live there (mainly diplomats and govement people) and that there are lots of other cities that are considered "districts" each with their own names.  All these cities will either be very close to each other or the center and some run together (much how Provo and Orem do).  I figure that way it would be much easier to sustain such a large population center.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »
that's fine. Bask's capital's "Population" would probably be largely merchant visitors

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 10:21:16 AM »
How many people do you think I can get away with throwing in the city?  I know that a city with a million+ is huge even by today's standards, and that a city with 300-500 thousand would be a metropolis in the setting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 10:25:13 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 10:29:12 AM »
now that you bring it up, probably half a million is a good upper limit.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »
See that's why I want to do the actual capital as 3-4 huge cities that are linked together and thought of as one City but they're not.  So I can have such a larg population center.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 07:23:04 AM »
Well after takeing the cities I've allready thought of (ie placed on a map) I just started giveing populations to them (rounded to the nearset thousand) and I came up with 2,191,000 and that's with makeing Pirkash's population 1.2 million.  So if I was going to do 6 million I need to either make a lot more cities or rase the populations of a LOT of them (only 2 other cities have populations in the hundred of thousands, one at 200,000 and one at 500,000).

I still need to populate the deserts and take accout for all the small villages and farmers that I'm not going to bother listing as well as add the military.  But thats probaly only going to be another 500,000-600,000.  So that would put me at about 2.7 million.  I would like to have between 4-5 million if I can get away with it.  I'll probaly have to populate the northern desert (by the coast) which I wasn't realy plannig on doing.

Has any one else thought up populations for their counties yet?  Dont think I remember reading any in Kije's write-ups yet.