• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
armys
« on: May 24, 2004, 04:50:23 AM »
Ok here's my next one.  And I know I could probaly just make up numbers that sound good but I'd rather make it more realistic.

What do you think would make a decent size over all for the army nation wide?  And if I've got border forts what should the Garrison size be.  Mainly I've got 3 places that I'm looking for.

1) The southren boder.  This are borders with the wastelands where mostly monsters, theifs etc reside.  I'm not going to try and cover the whole border (which is about 400 miles long) but the south westren most area where there's a high population.  I was figureing between 500-1000 people but I guess it would matter on how frequent attacks are (darkling hords would attack frequently and the ocasional lage monster).  

2) Eastren Border.  Here Parth is planning some type of campaign into the Nomad Lands to gain more of the forests along the northern border.

3) Western Border.  Border with Tarth.  I figure that one lage base at the northern most part of the border will work fine.  But this would be the most Heavely patroled border since the whole length of the border is the highest populated and where 90% of the nations food come from.  So I'm trying to decide how to spread troops along this border.  If you look at the map each one of those cites are the lager ones (probaly 5k+ people).

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: armys
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:57:07 AM »
let me give examples, that's all I can start with. Also, run through the BofM and you'll see some numbers to start working with. Medieval army sizes aren't significantly bigger than classical/ancient Civ, so we should be ok.

Egypt had a standing army, (lots of extra food because of the nile, so they could support a class of people that didn't contribute to the subsistance) and the biggest Force I can think of that they every fielded was 20,000. They did, however, once fight a Hittite force twice that size.

Basically, tens of thousands, is probably typical. Something truly epic may reach 100,000, but that would be unique in history.

Remember also that most lands did NOT have a standing army, and "soldiers" were just anyone who needed a way to get by or were impressed into service. In Feudal societies you had the well-equipped wealthy nobles (knights) who were required to give a certain of time on campaign each year, and they would be responsible for bringing their own (peasant) foot soldiers.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 10:00:05 AM »
So maybe 10-20 thousand to spread around the country sounds good then?  Or mabye 10k active and have a possiblity of quickly recruteing another 10k (ie haveing the supplies and means to do so).

also what's BofM
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 10:00:41 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 10:14:05 AM »
Book of Mormon.

You could probably do a little bit more than that, esp. if they're gearing up to do some actual expansion.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 10:52:19 PM »
Ya you're probaly right.  One thing that would affect the number of people on the border would be how much of an effort the Nomads would put up to keep Parth out of the Forests.  Parth has 2 objectives:

1) Gain more woodlands

2) Get territory to the river delta that borders Silkur.

There's little in the plains that Parth actualy wants, they actualy wouldn't mind just calling the Nomad plains part of parth and leaveing the nomads alone as long as they (the nomads) left Parth intrests alone.  But they know the Nomads wouldn't go for that.