Author Topic: Natural Resources  (Read 6632 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Natural Resources
« on: May 24, 2004, 05:17:32 AM »
I've been trying to think what type of resources Parth would have.  Takeing lead from Civ 3 I'm breaking them down into to catagories:  Stratigic resources and Luxiories.  I'm not going to bother listing all the things that could go here, like most foods, I want to leave this to those realy important things that would need to be traded for or could be traded.

1) Stratigic Resources.

Hard wood (from the forests by the nomad plains)

2)Luxiories.

Gems (not Gemm)
Dye
marble
whine
possibly furs (not sure if I want to make a trapping industry or not).
Cotton
Flax
Paparius (can any one make paper from wood pulp yet?  if not this will be a huge market for this).

I figure they'd have to have some forms of hard and soft metals but since there's no mountains (or hills for that matter) I'm not sure if that's all that fesable.  I gess that it's not required to have a mountain or hill to find metals for mineing.  How common is that?  I've got a lot of empty space in Parth, I'm going to have parts of it coverd by nomadish people that aren't 100% nomads (they're loyal citizens but they like the nomad life of their ancestors) and a city probaly in the middle of the country.  Being able to throw in a few mines or other things here and there will help give some life to that area.  Also I'm not realy sure what type of resources would appear where.  Would you be able to get things from the forests besides wood, fur and food?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:38:12 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Natural Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:01:04 AM »
Forests probably don't supply much else, unless there are minerals in the ground beneath it, and usually the requires deforesting the region to get at them.

Precious and semi-precious minerals are usually found in veins in the ground. There tend to be regions where certain types of minerals are found. Most nations don't have easy access to all resources without trading. Now, I'm not sure that medieval societies or earlier are terribly well equipped for strip mining or tunneling anywhere except the rock. At the very least, mining in the hills and mountains is much more common.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 10:05:12 AM »
Well I don't want vast amounts of metals but I do think that for Parth to be as old and powerful as it is it has to have some types of resources even if it is copper, bronze and some gold and silver.  Though I could add some hills, or cliffs somewhere that would make that a little easier.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 10:15:31 AM »
yeah, it would have to have some resources at least to be able to have the force to take the rest.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 10:44:20 PM »
Humm tell me what you think about this.  While it's safe to assume that there is some amounts of metals that they have access too (say gold, silver and bronze) they have to import Iron from other places (the only iron mines were on the far west end of Tarth so they lost all they had) but they have a few other things that are avalible since it's a "fantasy" setting.  For one they can make armor out of Chittin since there are giant insects in the deserts.  And they have a type of special glass, made out of special sand, that's harder then normal glass but still not as good as metal but it's sharper then metals.  So, for example, an arrowhead made of this stuff will cut through leather armor realy well but would be all but useless aginst heavy armor (like plate) the arrowhead would shatter on impact.  On the plus side armor like chainmail (unless woven realy tight) will be less effective against this since the arrow head would break in parts where the links are and the rest of the arrow would go through the hole.  Also small blades like knives would be a common product of this.  Swords and blunt objects would be made too but they have a certain chance of shattering when being hit by blunt objects (like maces or when being blocked by shields).  They would be light weight too so sailors like to use them.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 10:51:11 PM »
that's cool. I like it. Good solutions.
Also: swords and knives might break on armor, jsut like the arrows would. I guess if they're slashing, like you would with a simitar, than that's not as big an issue.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 10:54:52 PM »
That's what I would figure, and that people that use these weapons would have some training in how to keep them from breaking.  But in the desertlands, where wearing heavy armor could kill you from just the heat alone, metal armor isn't used that often either so it's very effective there.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 10:57:47 PM »
yeah, they might get smacked down pretty hard if they ran into the Tylerians, but the Free Cities on one side and Silkur/Bretoran on the other prevent that.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 11:02:43 PM »
And due to Parth's and Bastock's good relations (ie Parth has money and resources for trade) they can get metal from them.  Not to say that they DONT have metals, but they are a lot more expensive there and in the military commanders would have access to them (probaly the people that control 100-200 people or more).  And there would be a few troops (maybe a few thousand) that would be the "metals" haveing weapons/armor and training with them (sine the wieght would be different and people that were use to one type would have trouble useing them without and adjustment period).  It would make good tradeing to bask who would want the lighter weapons that dont rust for their ship crews.  I think the negatives and bonuses balence each other out.

And everyday metal items would be made of glass (probaly normal glass), earthenware or onyix.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 11:04:19 PM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »
Help a guy out:

have a gander at this map:
http://www.monkeyslothstudio.com/pictures/RiverIlnecities.jpg
at the bottom there's a lake (lake Parth) and next to it is a city (goe).  Not sure 100% what I'm going to have Goe be (more why it's there besides the lake).  I'm thinking of haveing it be a mining town and I want to make a new item that one could "mine" persay, something that would be unique to this setting.  It could be anything realy.  If anyone was thinking of makeing some new item that one could get from an undergroud cave or tunnel system or mine let me know.  Maybe some type of fungas or mold that people use.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 02:13:46 PM by Spriggan »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 03:17:33 PM »
speaking of fungus...it could be a drug mine.  Some kind of funky drug, that is legal in Parthann.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 03:22:48 PM »
an hallucinogenic for religious purposes.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 04:07:08 PM »
Hurm that's an intresting idea.