Alternate Realities > TW(i)G

Natural Resources

(1/3) > >>

Spriggan:
I've been trying to think what type of resources Parth would have.  Takeing lead from Civ 3 I'm breaking them down into to catagories:  Stratigic resources and Luxiories.  I'm not going to bother listing all the things that could go here, like most foods, I want to leave this to those realy important things that would need to be traded for or could be traded.

1) Stratigic Resources.

Hard wood (from the forests by the nomad plains)

2)Luxiories.

Gems (not Gemm)
Dye
marble
whine
possibly furs (not sure if I want to make a trapping industry or not).
Cotton
Flax
Paparius (can any one make paper from wood pulp yet?  if not this will be a huge market for this).

I figure they'd have to have some forms of hard and soft metals but since there's no mountains (or hills for that matter) I'm not sure if that's all that fesable.  I gess that it's not required to have a mountain or hill to find metals for mineing.  How common is that?  I've got a lot of empty space in Parth, I'm going to have parts of it coverd by nomadish people that aren't 100% nomads (they're loyal citizens but they like the nomad life of their ancestors) and a city probaly in the middle of the country.  Being able to throw in a few mines or other things here and there will help give some life to that area.  Also I'm not realy sure what type of resources would appear where.  Would you be able to get things from the forests besides wood, fur and food?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
Forests probably don't supply much else, unless there are minerals in the ground beneath it, and usually the requires deforesting the region to get at them.

Precious and semi-precious minerals are usually found in veins in the ground. There tend to be regions where certain types of minerals are found. Most nations don't have easy access to all resources without trading. Now, I'm not sure that medieval societies or earlier are terribly well equipped for strip mining or tunneling anywhere except the rock. At the very least, mining in the hills and mountains is much more common.

Spriggan:
Well I don't want vast amounts of metals but I do think that for Parth to be as old and powerful as it is it has to have some types of resources even if it is copper, bronze and some gold and silver.  Though I could add some hills, or cliffs somewhere that would make that a little easier.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
yeah, it would have to have some resources at least to be able to have the force to take the rest.

Spriggan:
Humm tell me what you think about this.  While it's safe to assume that there is some amounts of metals that they have access too (say gold, silver and bronze) they have to import Iron from other places (the only iron mines were on the far west end of Tarth so they lost all they had) but they have a few other things that are avalible since it's a "fantasy" setting.  For one they can make armor out of Chittin since there are giant insects in the deserts.  And they have a type of special glass, made out of special sand, that's harder then normal glass but still not as good as metal but it's sharper then metals.  So, for example, an arrowhead made of this stuff will cut through leather armor realy well but would be all but useless aginst heavy armor (like plate) the arrowhead would shatter on impact.  On the plus side armor like chainmail (unless woven realy tight) will be less effective against this since the arrow head would break in parts where the links are and the rest of the arrow would go through the hole.  Also small blades like knives would be a common product of this.  Swords and blunt objects would be made too but they have a certain chance of shattering when being hit by blunt objects (like maces or when being blocked by shields).  They would be light weight too so sailors like to use them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version