Author Topic: TW(i)G Setting Basics  (Read 40380 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: TW(i)G Setting Basics
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2004, 09:59:54 PM »
Ok that's some good info.  The Parth Church is probaly rich enough that they could easy pay Bask if needs be.  Just to be clear I'm not sure if I'm going to need to make the Temples exempt in any way, but I'm just getting a feel of the world.

Would it be possible to have a hidden temple in Tyleria?  I need to have a temple in each element type, and in the old world Tyleria is the only place that there are jungles.  Also I'm assumening on the map that the light green area are trees/forest?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2004, 10:03:30 PM »
Yes, since the whole map is essentially within the middle third of the world, it's safe to say that the climate everywhere is equatorial, which means the difference between light and dark green on the map is primarily one of density. Dark beign more dense. I suppose hidden temples are possible anywhere, there are just consequences if the government finds out

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2004, 10:11:09 PM »
Well the other thing is the Temple would to have been there for hundreds of years, so the only thing I can think of is a very closely gaurded secret, or it's protected by and Angle of Jungle element.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2004, 10:14:03 PM »
I'd like to keep working on this, unless you guys feel you've outsourced too much of it already or want some more variety in the contributors.  I'd kind of like to write up Bask, unless someone else really would like to do that.  I'm flexible; let me know.

So do I get the go ahead?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2004, 10:47:37 PM »
Sprig, I think the closely guarded secret works fine.

Kije, yeah, sorry, go ahead. Bask, is open. I'm thinking I want to do Tyleria and the Nomad Plains most.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2004, 11:02:13 PM »
Ok, thanks.  When it comes to religion I'm only going to work out the native stuff, and not the international influence, until it all gets worked out.  There's stuff that needs to be changed in the Silkur article, and Bregtoran too I think.  Should we hold off on them until it's settled, or just go ahead with them and edit them after the fact?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2004, 11:58:50 PM »
When you guys have it down, can you let me know that the name of the northern Bask isle is.  The one right below the Parth Colonies.  There's no hurry.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2004, 07:25:51 AM »
let's just plow ahead and edit later.

and... uh. Bask, Jr.? i dunno. let's let Kije make it up since I think that's where he's going next.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2004, 08:50:09 AM »
This is a test build of the main TWIG site.  Things haven't been spellchecked so don't bother complaning about that here.    The main thing I wanted to do here was build in a sort function for TWIG only articles, and mess around with some formating.  Any suggestion will be nice, but keep in mind I haven't finished everything yet and am working on a better formatting for the table.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/VG/test.php
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 08:50:21 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2004, 08:56:20 AM »
I don't particularly care for the font choice.

Maybe we can come up with a graphic logo to go somewhere. I know that few of us are artists, and that 42 is pretty busy most of the time, but let's see what we can figure out.

Oh, and it seems wider than the normal size for content.

I don't know how much of that you know, I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm excited about a TW(i)G section, because the setting information doesn't really belong in RPG, which I've just been mandating use of so I can continue to edit them.

It does bring up again the possibility of coding multi-department capability for articles. Since when we publish system rules (Fell mentioned to me that he's had some good brainstorms, and since he's in charge of that committee, that means we're moving on it), those would go into RPG and Table Top sections just as well as TW(i)G

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »
Nothing is set on this, I'll be working out a better layout over the next few days.  The size and text styles are just something I though out to be used with a style Class, which is what I'm learning to use.  And so I'm useing a font-family SE so you may not have the same fonts installed on your PC then mine, how it works is there are x number of fonts listed and the browser checks to see which you have installed, then uses the first one it finds.  It's a good way to desigen a page the way you want to look with uncommon fonts, then still have formatting control over those that doing have said font installed.  Anyway I'd like to keep graphic text out of the page since I'm trying to learn better website layout and throwing in graphic text is considered a no-no now a days.  But if you want to make it more then just fancy text and color (ie a real logo) then that's cool.  But I can easy change the font layouts by changeing the CSS for the page.

I'm takeing the "It seams wider then normal size" comment is that it dosen't fit into your bowser width wise.  That'll be fixed here in a bit.  I'm going to add code that's going to adjust the layout according to screensize and PC type.

We can have cross deparment linkage if you know how to code it.  I can have this page (even though it's in the RPG deparment) display Table-Top articles if I want.  It's realy not that hard at all.  The only thing they have to have is "TWIG" in the Meta tags of the article.  Actualy if you look at the address that page is currently in the VG deparment.  Of course, since it's not an article, but instead an actual PHP page that's not stored in the Database, you won't be able to access it for editing.  But I will be able to.  Also we cannot use the blurb feature on the site either, since there would have to be a TWIG deparment to do this, and there's currently no reason to bug Tage to make one for TWIG either.  So when ever news needs to be added I have to do it manualy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:28:36 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2004, 09:24:58 AM »
yeah, I meant a real logo. Not just fancy text.

and on the size thing, yes, that's what I meant.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2004, 09:30:10 AM »
I just edited the above post with new stuff at begining and end.  Also get a new PC you stupid 600x800 users!  You're runing it for everyone else.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2004, 09:33:56 AM »
eventually i hope to have enough content to justify its own department. For now, we'll just do whatever.

See, I don't do 800x600, I'm actually at 1280x1024. But no window I ever use fills up the screen. so my actual browser is actually probably 900x800 ish, the height being the most variable.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2004, 09:41:09 AM »
The reason why it's not resizeing it the table since I currently have fixed values for the width of the table.  I'll be changeing them to a percentage value wich will fix it.  Also if TWIG gets enough content it shouldn't have it's own deparment, but it's own subdomain (ie http://twig.timewastersguide.com) that will be seperate from TWG.

Anyway, think of what intro text you want and such.  Since what I wrote was just a filler to test things.