Author Topic: TW(i)G Setting Basics  (Read 40296 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: TW(i)G Setting Basics
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2004, 10:06:25 AM »
I had a much more full Saturday than I ever thought possible, and I'm STILL tired from it, but I did do this. All dates are dating back from the current era.
I'm gonna make a new thread and sticky it so it'll always be on top and I can edit it as we add new things. Not everything you asked for is on it, but it's a start.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2004, 10:10:42 AM »
cool, at lease haveing what date to start from will be help full, anything else can be easly added.

Also do you have a name for the storm(s) at sea?  I figure I'll mention them a few time.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2004, 10:17:55 AM »
ok, well it's up. I really only have the major history of Tyleria on it, but they're OLD. Most places are probably considerably younger, but Parthann/Tarth is probably nearly as old. At least, that's what i was thinking. The Split is much more recent, however. The last few hundred years.

Anyone doing write-ups, let me know what to add in there and where.

Storms at sea: I kind of like the idea of every culture having their own names for them. LEt me know what you think.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2004, 11:06:59 PM »
Every culture haveing a name for it is cool, but I think that mariners would have a universal name for it (to advoide confusion with multi-national crews) this could be the name in a trader tounge (if there is one) or either Bask or Parth tounge.  That way WE also have a universal name for it because calling it different in every write up might cause confuseion.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2004, 11:14:43 PM »
Bask is mroe neutral, I'd recommend that.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2004, 03:10:40 AM »
Ok, so why don't you or Kije come up with the gerneral name (ie Basks) for us to use then when we get to it make a local name for it from each nation.

You know it's kinda sad, we use to have intrest in this.  Oh well once TW(I)G becomes huge and we're RPG royality we can mock the others even more.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:36:10 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2004, 09:47:24 AM »
I figure only contributors get share in the booty. Whatever booty may come of it. That means the three currently writing, and a little bit of Jeffe and Fell from the original design phase.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:15 AM »
What are other nations doing with slavery?  I assmune Tyl has it  but what about other nations like the ones Kije is handleing(speaking of which it would nice to hear from that boy on some of these questions)?  I haven't decided yet, I don't realy think I want to put it in but that's becasue of my personal views on it.  But I'm waiting to make my final descision until I know what the majority of nations think.

And secondly what are people knowlege of the cataclysm that wiped things out 5000+ years ago?  Is it an event that people would know about?  I want to have a descroption like this: "Some say that underneith the lake lay the ruins of an achient city from before the cataclyism and that some long forgotten magic produces the water."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 07:30:17 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2004, 09:38:07 AM »
I would think there would at least be legendary info about the Cataclysm, so the common man would talk about it if it came up.

Slavery I'm leaving up to individual nations. Tyleria will probably have some form of slavery, though I won't make it a capatilistic endeavor like early US. The commonality will not be very high, either.

THe nomads do not have slaves.

Some Free Cities will have slaves, there's so much diversity that it would be impossible to wipe it out completely, esp since there isn't a confederate governmnet.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2004, 09:45:20 AM »
I would think there would at least be legendary info about the Cataclysm, so the common man would talk about it if it came up.

That what I was assumeing, it's the easy way out but I'm going to use that now and again to explain things that I realy don't want to come up with a real explination for.  like, for example, a lake in the desert.  I want it there but don't want to say why it manages to survive (it's a big lake), so I just write that the loacls chalk it up to some magic from legond.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2004, 10:18:54 AM »
a more scientific reason (which people might not know) could be an underground spring.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2004, 10:55:01 AM »
Yes but it would have to be a very big spring to be able to supply this lake (out where it's usealy 100+ degrees) and that has been around for thousands of years.  Don't that that would work.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2004, 11:02:53 AM »
well, a whole network of underground streams would.

Hrm... there's a potential adventure/story for river folk.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2004, 11:51:28 AM »
Slavery:
Bregtoran does not embrace slavery (against the general gist of their religion) but they do have an indentured servitude system in place for the lowest of the classes.  Only 1 out of 15 or 20 will be an indentured servant, so it's not a huge factor in society, but significant.  (Consequently, that's something we'll have to edit into Bregtoran for future revisions.)

Silkur has no slavery because it would be beneath a person's honor to be a slave, and thus also to own slaves.

Name for storms...really not something I've thought about.  You expecting a Baskish-sounding name (e.g. sklavers, or fierhaves, or something like that) or a generic metaphorical name (e.g. sea-screamer, waterhell, etc.)?

Were there any other questions I needed to respond to for Bask (or Silkur or Bregtoran?)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2004, 11:54:22 AM »
not on this thread, I think. But the Timeline could use your attention.

as for storm names, we're looking for anything. So let's take those four names under advisement and decide what people would accept. I'm pretty much thinking of Bask as the "trade tongue" or "lingua franca" of Azmoth, so in my mind, we can use a native Bask term for it.