Author Topic: TW(i)G Setting Basics  (Read 40372 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: TW(i)G Setting Basics
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2004, 01:32:27 PM »
Well I've sort of started, this is takeing longer the I thought mostly because I'm haveing to come up with a lot of things since we realy didn't discuss the world as much as we maybe should have.  Oh well.

Two things that would greatly help:

1) some sort of time line, even if its not included in the final stuff I don't like allwayse saying "Several centries ago" and crap like that.  Could we work out a simple timeline that would say things like when certain countries were formed and such.

2) What is the actualy size of the countries, I'd like to know how long the border of Parthann is with tarth and how many square miles etc.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2004, 01:47:10 PM »
I'll get you numbers on the distances later today, I have to do a couple things here at work first. I'll have a very rough timeline this weekend which we can edit as we go.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2004, 01:56:54 PM »
Just a reminder, SE: you had mentioned one item for the timeline already when I asked you.  You said the northern colonies had been established within the last 50 years.  I don't know if you were referring specifically to Bask (it was Bask I was asking about) or all combined, but I just wanted to remind you of that date.

Of course, if you want to change your mind, I'm not so far along that it will cause any serious edits on my part.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2004, 01:59:49 PM »
Good, the time line isn't as important as the size since I'm working on the Geography right now.  I'm just reading up on Deserts and such.

I am glad becasue I was able to come up with a type of goverment for Parthann that fits with both your and mine ideas.  I wanted a Theocracy and you were more republic.  Well I've got a triad or Emperors, one that's appointed by the Church of Parth, one that's appointed by Nobility and a third (which is the tie breaker) that's elected by the people.  I'll probaly work in some type of senate too.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2004, 03:04:23 PM »
Who's doing Tarth?  Is that me or someone else?  Becasue I need to know the name of the city that's on Tarth's side of the river Ilne (where the river curves).

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2004, 03:20:08 PM »
Last time I checked you were doing Tarth.  It makes sense, with the common history and all.  SE knows for sure, though.  It might have changed.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2004, 03:20:47 PM »
Oh - and cool idea with the triad of emperors.  Me likey.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2004, 03:34:22 PM »
last I checked, Sprig had both Tarth and Parthann. Make it up, if someone else ends up doing Tarth, they'll have to use your name.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2004, 03:58:03 PM »
*names the city "Spriggan Rules"*

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2004, 04:07:49 PM »
/me exercises his editorial power and makes it "Spriul" so it's harder to tell the original name.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2004, 04:48:27 PM »
The equator of this world is around 8000 miles (about 1/3 that of earth, so it's a smallish world). The great desert there, which more or less defines Tarth/Parthann's collective borders, is about 1/3 of that. So figure 2300 miles from one end of the desert to the other. Tarth's western border is hardly set, and they have disputes with the Free Cities over exactly where the lines are.

The distance from the ocean to the south edge of the map, I believe we decided, is about 800 miles, with next to nothing explored south of that (although Sprig and I had an idea for what to put down there in a future "expansion"). We don't, on the other hand, have a really solid reason for WHY the world isn't explored south of that, though Kije put a mountain range at the south edge of Bregoran. The river would probably have cataracts, that make it unnavigable, and therefore undesirable to explore. But the desert, well, maybe there just aren't any known oasis locations south of that. Maybe superstition. Maybe Darklings stop them. *shrug* work with me on the reasons there.

In terms of square miles, the desert as a whole is around 1.84 MILLION square miles.
Roughly speaking, Parthann's territory is about 368,000 square miles, (800 miles from the ocean southward, around 460 miles east-west on the average.) while Tarth makes up the rest of that, 1900 miles east to west and covering nearly 1.5 million square miles.

All of that sounds impossibly big until you realize that the US has a square milage of like 3.62 million. Russia is almost 7 million. California is 156000. So we're still talking about very big nations for the ancients, but Egypt was almost exactly the same size as I just described for Parthann, so it's not unreasable.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2004, 06:02:16 PM »
Tarthann would seem, to use the analogy, like an empire that spanned the Sahara (although maybe not quite as large as that.)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2004, 03:24:16 AM »
Sweet thanks SE that's just what I needed.  I've got some things to put below Parth and Tarth that would expalain why they aren't explored past the border much (maybe 50-100 miles only in some spots).

here's what I've basiclay come up with for a quick geographical outline of the territory:

The territory of the empire is roughly 368,000 square miles; the western border runs about 600 miles along the edge of the Ilne river and extending about 50 miles west of the Delta.  The costal region runs roughly 500 miles north from the Ilne Delta then extending 190 miles east to the Horn of Parth regions which is roughly 75 miles wide its self (and extends about 90 miles into the sea).  From there the base of the Green Lands begins and runs another 200 miles east at its base while extending 180 miles out into the ocean and ends in a point about 30 miles wide.  From the base of the Green Land to then southern end of Parthann the border extends roughly 800 (980 miles including the Green Land) miles along the disputed border with the Nomad Plains.  The Southern border of Parthann's territory is it's smallest and most barren sharing roughly 370 miles with the Devil's Horns Wastes.
About 80% of Parthann is a mixture of sandy deserts (like the Sahara) and stony deserts (like Utah or the Middle East) with the southern tip of Parthann giving away into an immense Desert of Rocks.  The other 20% is mostly costal shores and the Green Land Peninsula.  There are basically 4 different Geographical areas in Parthann:  The River Ilne, the Coastal shores, Green Land, and the Deserts of Parth.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 08:58:58 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2004, 09:22:11 AM »
Sounds good.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2004, 06:44:50 AM »
Hey SE you going to get me a rough timeline?  All I realy need to know is a few dates.

1) When the mass migration from the Northren contenent was

2) When some of the other nations were formed (or seen as a regional area when it comes to Silker and Bregtoran)?

3) Any major events or conflicts that have happened that you've allreay thought up.

I allready know the colonies have been around for about 50 years and that Parth/Tarth split up about 200-250 years ago.  I just need to know when to start the history and some refrence points to other things that have happened.