Author Topic: TW(i)G Setting Basics  (Read 32945 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: TW(i)G Setting Basics
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2004, 01:52:02 PM »
Ya there's not to much hurry for now I'm justing useing {storm} in my text so I can easly search and relpace.

Have we decided on a basic tech level? Do they have steal?  Paper (made from wood pulp)? Telescopes?  Cyborg ninja monkeys?  WiFi?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm thinking that they mostly reflect classical/ancient societies for most things. This is because few European/Western medieval societies had true empires. (the late Byzantines, true, but they collapsed, leaving mostly just the Ottomans). So mostly I want to preserve that feel.

On the other hand, steel makes things easier, so let's say steel is permitted. Bask and Tyleria and Parthann would almost certainly have steel, though you may want to restrict access to it depending on natural resources and trade availability. Many free cities and parts of Bregtoran and Silkur probably also have enough steel that it's not that unusual.

I don't see why we have to have paper. Something more like papyrus certainly. Probably vellum where papyrus isnt' as accessible.

Seige engines? eh, why not. We'll leave that up to writer discretion.

I think originally nothing later than very early rennaissance, meaning POSSIBLY some gun powder, but while it's not inconsistant with anything so far, I don't know that we should have even gunpowder. Tech should probably remain at Medieval levels. Plate armor, basic seige equipment, vellum, etc.

Social institutions aren't necessarily based on that, so social systems can be anything, and we can have universities and whatnot.

Sound good? clarifications? contentions?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2004, 02:39:38 PM »
Ok that clairfies somestuff.  We've allready decided that parth has no natural Iron deposits but they have lots of things to trade for it, thus IronGlass.  I was going to call it Glassteal but I wasn't sure if we had steal, now I think I like Ironglass better.  It fits since the glass is still brittle and can break when fighing against steal and other realy hard armors.  I'm not realy a big fan of haveing gunpowder in the setting, but it might be fun to give a northern contenent country with it (all though we should probaly limit it to the extent the chinese used it in classical times).  

What about telescopes? and spyglasses?  I'm wanting to have a astronmony university in Parth so if we could have some type of telescope (even if it is simple) I think that would be cool.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2004, 02:45:27 PM »
eh, i guess I don't have a problem with that.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2004, 03:20:37 PM »
yeah, let's keep gunpowder out for now.

telescopes seem fine to me too.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2004, 01:09:51 PM »
So in writing up Bask I came across a place where I would mention tides, and the question arose: does Azmoth have a moon/s?  If it did it would have to be smallish, but still big enough to create some tidal effect I think.  What say ye?  I'm fine with or without.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2004, 02:18:50 PM »
hrm... i guess moons would be a good thing to be common knowledge. they'd have to be really small moons to have more than one, but since the world is already based on such a dialectic system, it'd be nice to have it. WHat do you think of two small moons. One being gray/white like our own, the other of very dark material, so it's harder to see in the night sky (or else in a semi-geosynchronous orbit on the sun side so it is always in "new moon" phase). ?

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
Two small moons, with similar orbits and fairly close together, would produce enough pull to create a noticeable tidal effect, in my guess.

And the colors are fine with me.  I like the idea of a bright moon and a dark one.  The dark one might be much more noticeable in daylight, when it appears during the daylight hours.  That would be cool.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »
Have you ever thougt of pulling an endor?  Since this world is so small why not make it a moon of a large planet of some type.  That might help explain strange weather.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2004, 09:23:33 PM »
hrm... there's an interesting thought. I will meditate on this.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2004, 12:31:13 PM »
SE, Sprig: I just sent a copy of Bask to you guys.  Peruse at your convenience and we can talk any revisions here (or through email if you prefer.)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2004, 01:15:04 PM »
I'd advise tying it into the religion of the world. Having a planet right above your own atmosphere would result in it having even more of a religious significance than Luna does in world religions.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:07 PM »
This is not a pester or a complaint.  I know you both (Sprig, SE) are busy with other projects.  I just wanted to keep the Bask writeup on the radar so that when you're ready you can give it a read and suggest possible revisions.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2004, 01:53:46 PM »
er... I read it, and I keep meaning to email you some comments. I'll try to do that tonight.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2004, 03:13:35 PM »
There's no rush.  When you feel you can get to it is fine.