Author Topic: Bestiary of Azmoth  (Read 11239 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Bestiary of Azmoth
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »
That's more or less what I was going to do, but I wanted to know if I could go down that path.  We still need to develop a spirit world of sometype too.  Becasue once the main write up is done and if I feel like it I'll realy go into some of those ideas.

And here's another discussion topic.  What are going to be the equivalent (if any) to goblins/orcs in our world?  I'm sure you want to do darklings for that.  So I guess my question is are there different classifcations of darklings?  Can I have a band of them like you would "Easy" mobs in D&D.  Or are we not going to have a standard wussy race in the world and just leave it up to what ever we want to do.

And that just made me think of something else.  What is the "role" of darklings?  where are they. what do they do, like etc?  I think the main antagoist race needs to be fleshed out some so we can actualy use them in the settings.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 10:58:34 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 12:46:43 PM »
well, there are two broad classes:

the destructive ones. These would have similar roles to those of D&D orcs or hobgoblins. THey're out to kill and destroy humanity and their accomplishments

The subversive ones; these are less obvious. They're harder to identify on sight, and they try to persuade and subvert humans into destroying themselves. They're happy to do this to individuals, but if they can get whole societies to do it, that's even better.

None of them look exactly alike, though.

Statistically, then, you could group them. To put it in d20 terms, you could have stats blocks for each of small, medium, and large version of the violent ones (with some variation in each, to account for their abilities) and then add in a "special ability" like, some fly, some can tunnel, some are immune to something, whatever. And then do something simlar for the more subversive ones.

So yeah, there would definitely be a band of them living somewhere or wandering, like you'd have a band of gnolls or something in D&D.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 04:59:34 PM »
In our world insects haven't grown beyond a certain size range because the weight of such a large exoskeleton is prohibitive to movement/living.  But we're making up a world, so I suppose we could bend some rules...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 03:23:08 AM »
since we are going to be makeing this a RPG as well I think we need to come up with some "names" for the different classes.  So if there are 3-4 different sizes of the agressive ones the maybe have a different name for each of those size classes.  And, to use your D20 example, have a chart or 2 that the user rolls for random abilites and stat modifiers or even adding a class level or two.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 09:50:38 AM »
well, I figure any real names they have will be slang. Maybe vary from location to location. I could come up with names later. I'm not doing any game stats yet, so I'm not making those charts. I'm going to wait until we have a system, though I suspect that's a long way off considering Fell's situation.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 09:52:29 AM »
I understand not wanting to do the system stuff now.  But I do think we need some of that info for the setting.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »
I'll think up some cool names as I can then. Give me sugestions if you have them. I want to stay away from names like "ogre" or "goblin" though.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 11:25:56 PM »
I think how I would break them up is different from how you want to.  How I would is take the different size catagories (say 4 or 5) then under each of those seperate them by element.  so lets do water (useing D&D names just for refrences sake), size one: kappa, size 2:Kelpe, size 3: doger, size 4: water Elemental, size 5: water Demon.

Then do that for all of them.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 12:44:52 AM »
SE or Kije have either of you read my above suggestion for Darkling classifications?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 09:26:55 AM »
I want to think about it, but my mind has been on other things. I don't know if I want to make up so many darn names. If we even do 3 sizes for each elemental type, then we're looking at 24 names. That's too much. Much too much.

I'm much more satisfied by calling them "big darklings" or little darklings, or whatever. Since their abilities don't alter that much by size (well, bigger = stronger usually, right) there's no reason to make so many distinctions in terms of what people would actually call them. I always thought that it would be a continuity too, not that there are several sizes that fit nicely into boxes, so there'd be no where to cut it of at any point.

basically, they'd be identified by about how big they are, called darklings, and if it was relevant, there'd be a reference to which kind of elemental magic they used.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 12:32:14 PM »
I like the idea of having the darklings be variable in appearance, size, abilities, etc.  I like having them be difficult to classify.  I think for system purposes we could work out some general rules/mechanics for GMs to use, but for setting purposes we can leave it ambiguous.  I think having them be more ambiguous keeps true to the idea that most people on Azmoth don't understand the true nature of the world, and the resulting conflict (AzMozeth and DiAnthnik's struggle for the world.)  Darklings can still be a mystery.

And I like having a darkling be able to be in the shape of a horse, or a rat, or a man, or perversions of each.  Obviously, the size/shape will affect the abilities.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 12:41:52 PM by Lieutenant_Kije »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 11:24:38 AM »
Heh, reading through all these threads again

I'm thinkign Darklings will be called by whatever their abilities are. "He's a digger" like that
"He's a flyer, but he's also a clipper" (he's also got pincers instead of hands."