Author Topic: The time to apply is now...  (Read 2835 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
The time to apply is now...
« on: September 28, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »
College application season for my class, or at least those in my class expecting to both go to college and graduate this year.

And it is essentially a big drain of time.

Yay.  Oh well, the sooner I get back to work the sooner I'll be done get all the bloody forms and the sooner I'll start my essays...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: The time to apply is now...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:14:55 PM »
ya applying for college the first time is a pain, I remeber how long it took me.

So where are you applying to?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:01:36 AM »
The only one I know Gorgon is applying to is Michigan State University.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:06:29 AM »
I only applied to one university.  I wasn't going to stay in Reno, and it was the only one I cared to attend that I could afford without scholarships (well, sort of afford).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:16:27 AM »
I only applied to one as well, because I heard back from BYU before I even had to have my applications in for California schools. And the California universities wanted me to take more standardized tests--three SAT II subject tests. Yech.

I did not want to take anymore tests. And since I got into the school I wanted, I didn't bother applying anywhere else.

But I kind of wish I had applied to Stanford. I'm not sure if I had a good shot or not. I had a high GPA and good SAT/ACT scores and some extracurriculars, but nothing that really stood out. However, I still wish I had applied.

Apply everywhere! It doesn't hurt.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:05:50 PM »
Only one for me, too, and it wasn't BYU. My boyfriend was at University of Illinois, and so was the program I thought I wanted at the time, and what with my test scores and class standing and all the activities I was in (I was valedictorian--not much to say, for a class of 42, but it worked in my favor for scholarships). I had already been awarded a scholarship at U of I contingent upon getting accepted, so I pretty much knew I'd be accepted. So why pay the fees for applying elsewhere, when you're dirt poor?

My dream was to go to BYU, but I had given it up because of Tim and because everyone I knew said to stay at an in-state school because of all the scholarships. But most of the scholarships were only for the first year, so if I had applied at BYU, I probably could have gotten similar scholarships and carried the other scholarships that weren't state-specific with me.

So, apply where you really, really think you want to be, I say. I also wanted to apply to Harvard, just to see if I could get in, but never did. It's not like they had an animal science program. Or at least, I don't think so--I never actually checked. Having lived in Boston and been friends with Harvard students, though, I'm glad I followed the path I did. Harvard's just another school.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
See, being agoraphobic makes decisions like these so much easier.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 04:29:26 PM »
Agoraphelism, however, never had its up sides...

I'm applying to Michigan State, University of Michigan, and my third is unknown right now, probably Central.  I would love to go to Lawrence Tech, but it is far too expensive for me to be able to go there, I will almost certainly be going to state in my sister's footsteps.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
you should apply to BYU.
Or to George Mason. then you could hang out with TWG-East.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »
I recommend BYU.  A friend of mine could either go to BYU on the Hinckley, or MIT on a $40k/year scholarship.

He chose BYU, and he's really glad he made that choice now that he's there.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »
I can't go out of state, either, my parents wont allow it and/or can't afford it.  :-/.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 06:22:12 PM »
That's why BYU is a good thing for Mormons. Tuition runs LDS/nonLDS rather than in-state/out-of-state. The reasoning is that LDS members support it already with tithing funds.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 10:57:07 PM »
I thought about applying to BYU just for fun. I don't know if I am going to, but I am still toying with the idea.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 11:10:31 PM »
I thought about applying to BYU just for fun. I don't know if I am going to, but I am still toying with the idea.

*Archon reaffirms his agnosticism.*

Just remember to get your Church leader endorsement in on time. And get ready for all those required religion courses.

I really do reccomend BYU for just about anyone, particularly for the cost, but it is rather exclusive and not that easy to get into. Student stats:
Average GPA:  3.74
Average SAT:  1179
Average ACT:  27
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:20:42 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 11:14:18 PM »
Well, that settled that pretty simply.