Author Topic: Playtesting  (Read 2439 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Playtesting
« on: April 24, 2003, 11:07:56 AM »
Is it just me, or is this the perfect way to do a non-time taxing way to playtest new RPG's?

We make a new forum, or make a forum for all systems we are playtesting, and then run through character generation, explaining rules to people and a short adventure. THis allows the reviewer to see how well it does in actual game play, instead of just peering at the book and extrapolating from there.

In fact, i might want to try doing that with a review of Nobilis. Its such a wierd game i would want to do a game just to check it actually works in real life.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Playtesting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 01:11:59 PM »
That's exactly what I'm thinking. However, I worry that if we do too many games at once we'll burn out and not give proper attention to any of them. Most of our regular readers are already playing HU, so would asking them to play Nobilis at the same time be too much? I support the idea, and you're welcome to run a game, but let's make sure there's an audience first.

Another good idea is just to grab your local friends and tell them to make accounts and play your game. This will help playtest the game, and it will increase our readership. Not bad.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Playtesting
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 01:50:16 PM »
I don't see why I couldn't keep my attention on two at a time, though probably not more than that. Keep your playtesting to 4 or 5 players, and it shouldn't get out of hand. Esp if we're not talking about major campaigns, just a char gen and a short adventure.

Plus it'd give me an excuse to buy more minis. Which I only buy to represent characters I have.