Author Topic: How about running a Matrix game?  (Read 2638 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
How about running a Matrix game?
« on: May 07, 2003, 04:08:22 PM »
Ok. Read this link:
http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/columns/nifties07may03.html

Once you have done so, let me expand.

A matrix game is quite good for the forum. It is very easy to set up - simply have the GM determine:
a) mission
b) the location of the mission - eg the gov't building at the end of the matrix
c) operator personality
d) the starting point (like that apartment building where morpheous gets captured. the guys who guard it might as well be NPC's - they never do anything)

Then the players determine what their character is like (for a game as action packed as the matrix might as well simply use stereotypes - "meglomaniac hacker" is enough to get you through the minimal dialogue in the matrix.

I also propose that we dispose with dice and indeed, systems. Simply use a extreme narrative approach - the player describes what the character is trying to do, the GM describes what actually happens as a result. The reasons why are simple. Firstly, style is everything in the matrix - a diceless system allows you to do that to the extreme. Secondly, the matrix is a game of extremes - the PC's will almost always take down ordinary humans without a scratch, and a agent will do the same to a PC.

Anyone interested?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: How about running a Matrix game?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 04:14:57 PM »
I really don't think I'd like to do a quick and dirty game on a forum. Basically, the reason I'd do a one shot is because we don't have anything else to do, or doing that other thing has been hindered in some way. Forum games inherantly run much more slowly, and action sequences in particular are extremely difficult to pull off in a way that keeps people excited. Forum games work much better for story telling and deep characters.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 05:41:41 PM »
Ironically, your description of diceless roleplaying is more or less how I play anyway, at least when I'm online. Dice are only there for fun--most of the story is just made up.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 06:06:18 PM »
What's FUN got to do with it?! We're talking about GAMES here!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 07:03:31 PM »
Wait a minute, we don't need to run a Matrix game...we're already there.

The Matrix has you.

Brian

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 12:10:17 AM »
I suppose there's no reason we can't run a game of The Matrix from inside The Matrix.

Which brings up another interesting question -- theoretically, wouldn't it be possible for virtual computers to take over inside the real Matrix and virtually enslave the virtual human race? And, given enough processing power, couldn't those virtual computers construct a virtual Matrix to virtually create a virtual world as a diversion?

And couldn't the whole process continually repeat itself, until the real Matrix crashed from excessive processing load? Now that's what I'd do, if I were Neo..

But yes, a storytelling/diceless game of the Matrix sounds cool -- although I agree with SE that it would be tough to treat a "one-shot" forum game as one-shot, since even those short games would probably last several weeks or months on a forum.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 12:10:43 AM by Brian »