Author Topic: New Game!  (Read 8797 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: New Game!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2003, 04:32:51 PM »
Yay Pirates! I just hope we won't have to suffer an avalanche of Captain Jack Sparrow clones.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2003, 05:16:14 PM »
I can honestly say that I was not even THINKING about PotC when I brought up my idea. Pirates of Darkwater was closer too it.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2003, 06:43:53 PM »
I for one would be all for a modern Hong Kong setting involving rival Triad gangs, crooked cops, vengeful family men, and killers for hire in black leather and shades: the whole John Woo treatment.

Some other ideas off the top of my head are:

Elf demon hunters in the New Victorian age of the 42nd Century (kinda an inside joke).

80's style horror film where the players are all teenagers trying to evade and destroy a seemingly immortal killer who has supernatural powers.

Personally I LOVE westerns, but I would put a different... umm, slant on it and make it maybe a Gothic Western.

How about a pulp-era game where the players could all be lone-wolf mystery men who are forced to band together to stop an evil mastermind from uniting all of their combined enemies and taking over the world.

What would you all think of a Marvel or DC Universe game where we all played the big guns (Avengers or JLA)?

Two words: Halfling Ninjas!

"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2003, 08:26:52 PM »
Two words: Halfling Ninjas!

*shudder*

But otherwise some good ideas.
However, the triad one is (sort of) being done. That's what "Back for Seconds" is about.

I think I like the LXG best of all the others

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2003, 08:40:54 PM »
Yeah... the lone wolf one has promise. Playing an anti hero, who is busy associating with other anti heros could make for funky RPing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2003, 10:00:18 PM »
Yup, I was serious about running Pirates.  Savage Worlds can handle just about anything I can throw at it and Pirates! fits its style very well.

Which is why there is a pirate book coming out for the game :)

More info is in teh review I wrote here and on pinnacle's website (demo rules, free adventures, etc).

I was just going to create the world myself, but if you want to do it, Saint,  I'm all for it.  

But I'll run if everyone wants me to, no problemo.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2003, 10:37:11 PM »
Well, I'm not going to do any GM work if someone else is.

But yeah, I want you to run the pirate game. We'll see if we get more votes.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2003, 01:55:40 AM »
I like the pirate ideas. I have an RPG book for pirates. It's the d20 version for the 7th Sea. I really like colonial exploration stuff.

I also like the Star Trek idea. Could I play an infinite number of Red Shirts?

Deadlands would be cool also. I'm not big on Westerns, but I've lived almost my whole life on the West so you think I would be a lot more open minded to it. Course, Deadlands has a cool Sci-fi twist to it.

I would rather be a player, since recently I'm usually the GM.

Other things I think would be cool:

1920's superheroes.

Farscape (This is just for fanboy suppport.)

Terraforming Spacers

Prometheus got me on small Mecha RPG world kick

Modern Fantasy

1920's Cthulu

Modern people sucked into a fantasy/sci-fi world.

Some sort of Bestiary campaign.

So I'm willing to try a lot of things, except pokemon, things involving Satanic rituals, and anything to do with Jane Austin. I guess those are all the same.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2003, 10:50:23 AM »
Admit it 42 you love to act out Jane Austin books.  But I think a Jane Austin theamed RPG with dinosaurs would be fun, the players would be the dinosaurs who would get extra EXP for eating a woman that was postulateing on the stupitiy of men.

But I'd love to do a pirate adventure, but 100% fantasy dosen't sound appealing to me.  Set it in a tech level of the victorian age with gun powder and such.  But western setting would sound cool too, especiuly if it had dinosaurs....with monkies.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 10:52:26 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2003, 02:24:55 PM »
If we do pirates, would it be fantasy or historical? And if fantasy, would non-humans be included?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2003, 03:19:45 PM »
Pirates is cool with me, but would it be Hollywood style, swashbuckling rogues with hearts of gold like Captain Jack or more of the real world, desperate and bloodthirsty sea killers?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2003, 03:33:29 PM »
Remember folks...Deadlands isn't just western.  It's a mix of western, horror, steampunk, and kung fu.  Sure, it sounds like a mix that would never work, but it does, and well.   I've run a lot of DL one-shots and the players are still asking me to run more for them.  Once you taste Deadlands, you never go back... :)

As for the pirate game.  While I would prefer some fantasy elements:  rare magic, maybe some undead, giant apes, etc,  it certainly won't be classical fantasy in any sense.  As stated earlier, probably more of a Pirates of Dark Water level of fantasy.  You'd still have black powder of course.

As for the feel of the game, well, that depends on the players.  Do you all want a cinematic, swashbuckling tale of derring-do on the high seas or a gritty, barnacle-ridden, stab-your-friends-in-the-back then die of scurvy, more true to life pirate game?

I prefer the former, but I can run either.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2003, 03:43:41 PM »
The former.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2003, 05:03:31 PM »
cinematic. I like the light fantasy. I want to play a monkey like guy who can climb all through the rigging and swing around and stuff.

Note: I don't want to play a monkey, or an ape.  I want to play an intelligent humanoid with monkey-like traits (opposable digits on feet, longish arms, etc).

Let me know if that doesn't fit into your plan.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2003, 07:09:32 PM »
cinematic. And I want to be the Captain's mistress

I'll settle for a lower ranking officer, I suppose.

Let me know if that doesn't fit into your plans.

Also, how many players are you looking for? I think my husband would enjoy it as well.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy