Author Topic: New Game!  (Read 7430 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
New Game!
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:35:10 PM »
I know you've all been raring to go o this one, so here's your chance: what game do you want to see replace Patriot City? Whether you want to be a GM or a player, state your ideas here.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: New Game!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 05:46:04 PM »
Who's running it? What are the options?

I'd play in a LOTR game, or any other fantasy. I want to be a player.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 07:10:37 PM »
I'd probably play in anything, but D&D, WoD, CoC and Nobilis (games i own) would be favoured. Either position as well... D&D most likely GM position, though dont hold yer breath.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 07:44:32 PM »
Keep in mind that I have an opening for the Grey Knight as soon as EUOL admits that he's already stopped playing him. You can be more tragic than EUOL is about it, or you can continue the zany ignorance.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 08:09:13 PM »
I'd be happy to GM a new game, but be forewarned that sooner or later the same thing will happen--my attention span will run out and you'll all be eaten by dinosaurs. Still, Patriot City lasted several months and, if we structure it right, we could do a full story in that time.

My preferences, for playing or GMing, would be D&D, LotR, or Star Trek (a Star Trek crew could be pretty fun, actually).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 08:17:27 PM »
oo! Ooo! I have an idea. How about Pirates/Privateers! We could use sea-elves and land dwellers on ships! We can fight giant kraken! We can wear bear feat and sing dirty sea chanties about halfling strumpets!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 08:23:45 PM »
I would happily run a small Deadlands game, using the Savage Worlds system.  It'd be mostly freeform.  

Old Western B Movie Goodness!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 10:05:25 PM »
I don't like the Western genre.

I'm tempted on the TGK offer. Not only can his name be encapsuled in a 3 letter word, but playing the part of a demented idiot would be supremely easy - most of my friends regard me as such a person. And, even better, he apparently doesn't remember anything, so i dont have to read the entire story until now. So yeah, let me think about it.

LoTR would be cool. Any game where i can play a dwarf would be right up my street at this particular moment in time - the dwarfs are pretty much the scots in LoTR in any case. (Elves are English, humans probably Yanks... go figure that in light of Iraq and so forth).

Star trek would be fun, especially since i can finally do the much needed Trek character. You know all those guys who say they adore 20th centure culture and so on? How come there is no John Woo fans? Security guys diving sideways through automatic doors with a phaser in each hand :D

And in IM me and Mr P agreed that CoC and Humour games are best as one off or very short campaign stuff inbetween other games, so those are probably not great. Might be hard to get the atmosphere going on a forum as well.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 10:34:11 PM »
any game with monkies are fine with me.  I'm actualy surprised that the game managed to keep going even after the first hick-up.  WEG starwars is allwayse a fan favorite and it's easy to learn.  If no one else jumps in to GM (ie Slant or Mr. P) I'm tempted to run an empire campaign.  Which would probaly take place sometime around a new hope and Empire strikes back.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 10:40:30 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 10:49:58 PM »
Monkey pirates fighting dinosaurs!

Actually, I was fairly serious about the privateer idea. I just got a little silly when I started thinking about the wenches. I think it'd be fun to be a pirate. And a monkey-like pirate would be great on a ship, what with all the running up and down the rope ladders and masts and such.

Perhaps BESM mechanics and a custom setting. Heck, Decipher or d20 or Feng Shui mechanics would work. I'd be happy to collaborate on a setting, but as I siad, I don't want to gm. I want to be a player.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 11:04:22 PM »
kinda pirates of dark water meet Dinotopia?  Anyway what if on the starwars one there are two groups of players, one rebels and one empire and they're storys cross and such.  The two different topics will only be avalable to those that are supposed to be reading them (until the story progresses past that part) so that way they cannot spy on each other?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 11:10:28 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 11:22:02 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to running a pirate game using Savage Worlds.  Their pirate setting book, 50 Fathoms, comes out soon, but I'd probably not use it for anything but inspiration as it has some kinda silly fantasy races in it.

But yeah, I'd run that.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 01:47:10 AM »
The Star Trek and Pirate ideas both sound fairly interesting. I'd be interested in playing most of the suggestions here. I do suggest that if some type of commercial rules are used, to avoid relience on the players knowing the rules well, mainly because I don't have money to actually go and buy books.  So count me in as a player. I'm too busy designing an entirely different forum based RPG for some friends I have to come up with ideas of my own.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 09:30:23 AM »
Since, traditionally, our forum games have relied on the GM running the mechanics and the players not worrying about anything (but having sheets, so they can at least get an idea of their capabilities), then not knowing the mechanics of a system is not a particularly troublesome issue.

Now, I was NEVER serious about the dinosaurs, I was just getting into Fell's recent mood. However, if the people WANT pirates of darkwater v. Dinotopia, who am I to object.

Mr. P, I've never played Savage Worlds, but as I just said, that's not a major problem round here. I'm just wondering if you're really volunteering to run one, and if so, if you want me to help create setting. Note that my ideas would be 100% independent of anything SW demands, but I don't know if that's important.

Probably we could converse fastest by email, once I get to work (in 3.5 hours), that address is [email protected] if you want to start discussing something. Again, I do NOT want to run, but I'm happy to help design a setting (complete with potential plot hooks

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 01:45:23 PM »
I like the pirate campaign idea. That sounds fun.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy