Author Topic: Call for players  (Read 25459 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Call for players
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2004, 11:23:42 AM »
well I'm still building the data base at the moment, trying to find out how I want them organized, but you can create an account now.

http://www.monkeyslothstudio.com/

go ahead and try it, but FYI for those of you not in avaste ye!  there won;t be much for you to do for a few weeks.  Let me know if you find any problems.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2004, 07:48:25 AM »
Ok, I've encoded a user profile feature that lets you change a few things about you (includeing your password).  Please try this out and report any errors you find.

www.monkeyslothstudio.com

once I'm sure this is working I'll start adding the game features.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2004, 05:59:57 AM »
I'm adding GM functions now, I'm going to be adding some things to the player functions too.  All I can think of right now is hideing e-mail address from view.

I'm still working on character sheet/data pages.  I'm not sure how I want to store the info yet, so as soon as I get what I like those pages will be up.  But I'm looking forward to recodeing my flash SW character program (ugg), but it'll be realy cool to have that interface.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2004, 09:03:57 AM »
Wow I'm realy enjoying useing PHP & MySQL to make a website.  Probaly some of the funest programming I've ever done.  

So I've got a game page system page up, you can see it here in the Avast Ye! page.  Besides adding a link to the game forums and a link to another site (if there is one), what, if anything, do any of you think could be, or you would like to see, added to a sites intro page?  Even if this is something you realy have no intrest in, I'd appreacate any comments.  I'm running out of ideas.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 09:20:51 AM by Spriggan »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2004, 09:30:09 AM »
Links to the system rules/explanation, links to the setting, the character info, plot so far, maps, etc. Everything originally planned for the flash site.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »
Well The flash site is still going up, this is just me messing around.  Actualy sometime I'm going to make a all flash interface for everythign you see, it's just flash takes so much longer becasue of it's high design/graphics requirements. That haveing been said if someone wants a game info section there it would be nice to have a way for them to do all those things with out me makeing a flash site.

I haven't decided how to do character info storage yet, because I'd like to use the same database for all games, but yet all games aren't alike.  So who knows.  As for summeries, well the GM can add, change, as much of the intro text that they want to do (it can be about 65k characters long) so that's upto them.  A sepreate rules page would be nice though.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2004, 09:46:58 AM »
brainstorming here. This may take up a lot of spece and time, let me know.
THe DB could have fields for ALL games. Each character entry also has a value for what system it uses. That system refers to another variable: an array listing the fields the game uses.

To say it another way, you have a bunch of arrays, one for each game system. Each array is a list of the fields that particular system uses. Then each character entry has a field that declares which of those arrays it uses. Then the actual display only shows the fields listed in that array.

My first thought was just to have all the fields in each character entry, and to only display fields that have information. But this would allow you to show even empty fields if they're just incomplete and that would let the viewer know that there is missing data there.

The question with this method is whether it would take too long to pick through the fields and only display the appropriate ones.

And implementation question is whether you want fields to have type requirements. Like, if you were to do WEG d6 and WotC d20, would you use the same field for "strength" even though in WEG the value would look something like 3d6+1 and in d20 it would be a simple integer. That, I think, depends mostly on whether you want the program to flag which fields are required and whether they have valid content.

Let me know what's wrong with this little brainstorm.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2004, 08:24:35 PM »
ya that's what I was thinking of doing, but I was trying to see if I could come up with a way to do it with out haveing to write a new parser for each gametype.  But I don't think there's anyway around it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:35:00 AM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2004, 07:12:23 AM »
Well some modertly good news, if you're still intrested in this that is, I've almost got the Character Generator program finished to the extent you could make charcters.  Everything but skill discriptions will be done in the next little while (like next week).

But I'm takeing a cue from Blizzard, it donse't mean the game will be ready at that time.  I have several other (one quite complicated) to get done for the game before.