Author Topic: Summer Games  (Read 20565 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Games
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 01:06:09 AM »
42, send me an email at the address on my profile and I'll respond with my idea.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 01:30:44 AM »
Done.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 07:59:05 AM »
hrm... My ninja appears to be level 20
I can drop that down a level still easily. but the most helpful thing would be if we used the "skill points cost less" variant in the errata. If we did it with even 2 ranks per point, that would drop me 5 levels right there. Skills are just too expensive the normal way. so,... can i take advantage of that rule? They recommend one character point buying 2 or even 3 ranks.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2004, 08:18:23 AM »
Hmm..no wonder you're defending D20. Your secret is reveled. You are nothing more than a....MIN-MAXER!

What kind of poor roleplayer are you, trying to use the rules that will make your character more powerful in game terms? You should be ashamed of yourself! Go back to your war and VG games, where game advantage belongs! True roleplayers make weak, incompitant characters for fun!

And yes, I realised I just paid myself out. Just part of the triple-layered irony of this post.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »
I'll refer you to several posts where EUOL actually defends min-maxing.

but in my defense: I built this according to character. As it stands, he has exactly TWO super feats. No superpowers at all. The utility of skills pales compared to super powers and feats, which is why there is an optional rule to make them cost less.
I took as a "weakness" a code of honor, which led me to remove a few skills like Disguise and Bluff, figuring this would be how he would use it. Bluff, incidentally, has a great combat use with feints and such, but I decided not to use it for character reasons. I decided he was out of the monastary for the first time, so he still believed in the goodness of people, and so I also declined to give him Sense Motive, which counters bluff and means he'll be easily duped.

I honestly think skills cost too much for what little advantage they give, and that's why I want the cost break. He's not superhuman with the exception of his hearing and his "blindsight," so I don't think it would be giving him too much advantage.

So, I'll just wait till 42 makes a call on this.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 09:39:10 AM »
I'm kind of waiting to get in the other charcter ideas before I make a decision about skill costs. If I think that the others could benefit from the extra skill ranks then I will do it. As of right now the NPCs are built on the standard 1 point = 1 rank system.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2004, 09:43:33 AM »
k, I'll be finalizing two versions, and I'll send you the one the meets the rules.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 10:52:02 AM »
What i want is kind of a Rogue (xmen) vampire. He can fly, and when his hands (only his hands, not like his forehead) touch another human he drains their hitpoints and adds it to his own. This power should go through clothes, armour, etc so he can basically never touch another human with his hands. If there is sufficient points, give him super senses.

And his background will be that he was a mayoral candidate in the US, who shook so many hands that a passing supervillian thought it would be amusing to curse him not to be able to shake hands. The flight and other abilities developed after he sucked a bunch of villians.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »
make sure to give him the shmooze... er... Diplomacy and Bluff skills.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »
I got your email, 42, and will have the character info along today/tonight.  

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 11:31:09 PM »
Entropy, that's a good idea. Send me more info via email. Just one little kink, there are no hit points in Mutants and Masterminds. So we'll have to find an alternative, like strength or constitution. I have some ideas.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 03:52:57 AM »
this sounds really fun but I have no idea how or what to do to play, could someobdy please explain. and please dont quote other parts of the thread in an explanation, it waent ight over my head...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 03:59:35 AM »
Just come up with a super-hero idea, preferably with a latin twist, and send it to me. Include character details and background info. I'll handle the mechanics.

If you haven't played an on-line rpg like this before it's pretty simple. I post story stuff and you post a response for your character as to how he will act. Then I post, then you post, then I post, and so and so on.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2004, 04:05:30 AM »
does the character have to be human?
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2004, 04:39:28 AM »
Not necessarily, but you probably would want a character that can interact with people. On-line formats like this don't really lend themselves to hack-and-slash.