Alternate Realities > What's this?

Diplomacy, anyone?

(1/57) > >>

Lieutenant Kije:
I have been wanting to play a game of Diplomacy for some time now, and I'm seeing if there's sufficient interest to run one online.

I know this isn't a forum-based RPG, but the format of online Diplomacy would be fairly similar, so I thought I 'd post it here.

I think running the game online would work very well considering the game's format.  Interplayer discussion could take place through email, chat, or TWG private messages.  The drawn-out format of online forum games works fine here, as Diplomacy takes a long time to play.  I have tentatively created a Yahoo group dedicated to the game, where the (constantly changing) game board could be posted aong with player resources, announcements, deadlines, etc.

We could run it by giving a week for diplomacy between turns, after which orders would be submitted to me (the moderator) and results posted within a day or two.  And so forth until someone wins.  The time required to play wouldn't be all that great, and would mostly depend on how much you wanted to participate diplomatically.

For those of you unfamiliar with the game who might be interested, there's a TWG review for it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=648

To sum it up briefly, it's a conquer the world style boardgame with a heavy emphasis on player interaction.  Very fun.

We'd need 5 players at least, although 7 is ideal.  No more than 7, though.  If enough are interested I'd be willing just to moderate.  Otherwise I'd play as well as moderate.  (With the transparency I'd build into it, there wouldn't be a conflict of interest.)

So...anyone interested?  

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
I've done this by email before, and gotten righteously trampled. I'll play if I don't have to be Turkey. Otherwise I surrender to the country furthest away and bow out. :D

oh, and i like the sig. That was a favorite song for church dances.

Master Xaio:
I'd definitely be interested.  I've never played before, but definitely interested.

Lieutenant Kije:
We need at least two more...

By way of promotion:
[*]this would be less time-consuming than your average forum-based RPG[*]I promise I'll see it through[*]the diplomacy aspect allows you to role play it if you want...be the fascist dictator, the leftist guerilla, the pre-emptive Republican, the coalition-building Democrat, or whatever your heart so desires[/list]

Entsuropi:
If enough people play, and i can backstab Mr Ehlers, then count me in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version