Author Topic: Contemplating starting a new ORPG  (Read 5988 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Contemplating starting a new ORPG
« on: April 07, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »
So I'm thinking I'd like to start a new on-line rpg. Like the last one I did, it will likely run for only a couple of months, so people who aren't willing to post more than once a week need not apply.

What I'm thinking of is that I would like to run a campaign in Mystara.

Yes this would be D&D. Mystara is the setting originally invented by Dave Arneson. It was the setting used by original/basic D&D.

I'm trying to dig up info about Mystara, but what I can tell you is that it is kind of a swashbuckling 14th century fantasy setting. The part that interests me is that there are no gods, instead there are immortals. Immortals were once people/adventurers who became so powerful that they gain immortality and then went on to be gods in places like Faerun.

So I'm thinking the campaign would be a D&D epic campaign in Mystara.

Thought? Opinions?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Contemplating starting a new ORPG
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »
Forgive my ignorance - I've done a bit of online RPing, in the form of FFRP, simming on forums, dueling, chatroom RP, etc.

But how does one RP using a traditional system in a "post" setting?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 01:30:49 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 01:46:51 PM »
Kind of like how we've done the other games on TWG. AORP being the longest running.

The games system is justs to give a refernce, it doesn't really dictate too much of what happens. The games are all awefully similar regardless of the RPG system used.

It is kind of slow, but diverting none-the-less.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
Ah.  I think I take care of any board-based RPing I desire over at www.warhammeronlineforum.com .
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 06:56:40 PM »
Traitor

So where do you go when you don't want to play in the Warhammer world?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »
Don't want to play in the Warhammer World?  What does that mean?  =รพ

No, but when I don't want warhammer, I RP in non-board ways.  Because there's such a writing commitment to board-based RPing, I generally don't want to have to learn a whole new world to do so.

And besides, I'm currently the Lord Inquisitor of the Imperial Inquisition, perhaps the most powerful guild on the WHOL forums (though I would attribute my position in the Inquisition, as well as its status, largely to situational luck).  It's terribly entertaining belonging to a society burning heretics.  Never gets old.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 01:55:04 AM »
I love Mystara.

I have multiple copies of the best edition of D&D, the Rule Compendium, which feature the setting.  I also have a copule of ebooks.

Would this be run with old school D&D?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 12:12:22 AM »
I think I would have liked to have done this with OD&D rules. But I have yet to have recieved significant interest in the idea.

Their's a lot of stuff I like about the OD&D world. I'm now conteplating getting some of the old modules and then running a long session with my in-person group. Maybe a 24-hour session or something like that.

I guess if enough people are interested, we could still start a board version.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 12:31:57 AM »
I don't know how exactly it works, as I have never played a forum rpg before, but it would be interesting to try.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »
I'd certainly be in but I would warn you that any version of  D&D is incredibly difficult to run over message boards.