Author Topic: Satisfying Endings  (Read 5581 times)

Eric James Stone

• Staff
  • Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
Satisfying Endings
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
My problem is wrapping up the ending all neat and tidy. My inner-self wants to drag it out (hence most of my stories are novels), but I need to end it somehow in a way that's satisfying, but brief. Any pointers?

Among some writer friends of mine, there's an ongoing joke about endings: "And then an asteroid came down and killed everyone. The End."

Just about any story can be ended that way, but I think you hit on the key point when you said "satisfying."  For most stories, the asteroid ending would not be very satisfying.

Orson Scott Card has created a good framework for understanding endings, called MICE (Milieu, Idea, Character, Event).  People often use MICE as a way of analyzing stories, but he says the framework is really about matching beginnings to endings.

That's one of the most important points about satisfying endings -- they deliver what the beginning promised.  In order to have a good ending, you have to have a beginning that matches.

The MICE framework is explained clearly in both of OSC's books on writing, but the basic premise is that the type of story determines how the story should begin and end (in a very general way).  For example, a typical mystery story (which is a form of idea story) begins by posing the question whodunnit? and ends when the question is answered (and one hopes the butler is not the answer.)

If you start off with a detective investigating the murder of a famous violinist, you're promising a certain kind of story.  If you end with the detective deciding she doesn't care who did it, because she never wanted to be a detective anyway and was only pushed into it because her father was a cop and his father was a cop, then you have a character-story ending paired with an idea-story beginning, and that ending will not satisfy.

But MICE alone is not sufficient to having a satisfying ending.

I attended a David Gerrold workshop, and he gave a good explanation of how to end a story.  Unfortunately, I have to explain the beginning and middle in order to get to the ending.  (Note that the following is my interpretation of Gerrold's advice as I remember it, and it may not correspond exactly with what he said.)

What is a story?  According to Gerrold, a story is a person with a problem. (I think that definition is incomplete, but it will do for now.)

Using that as a jumping-off point, here's the basic structure of a story:

I. Beginning
- Introduce the person
- Introduce the problem
- The person takes ownership of the problem (It's my problem, not someone else's)

II. Beginning of the Middle
- The problem becaomes wider and deeper than the person thought

III. Flipover Point
- Prior to this point, the problem drives the story, and the person mainly reacts.  After this point, the person begins driving the story.

IV. End of the Middle
- The person tries various methods to solve the problem, and they fail.  Such failures leave the person worse off than before.

V. Ending
- The person finally comes up with a method to solve the problem, and it works.

I know it sounds very simple, but many stories fail to have a satisfying because they don't follow IV and V.

Without the failures in IV, the success at the end doesn't mean as much.  If it's someone else who comes up with the method to solve the problem, or if there's no method at all other than pure luck, the ending is not satisfying.  (Deus ex machina falls into that category.)   If the problem isn't solved, the ending is not satisfying.

Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Satisfying Endings
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:29:51 PM »
Having read only a few of your paragraphs on endings EJS, I must utter upon you all the teaching I was taught not more than a few nights ago in my fiction workshop class by my professor.

(Paraphrased)
Endings can end whenever you want them too. That's the bliss about life, is that there never really is an ending and when you get to one you never really want it to end anyways.

So really, an end is only where you want it to be, and in some cases there's always a nice point at which you can say "the end," but other times if it seems abrupt than go for it and just end it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »
I think the point he made was yes, you can end anytime you want, but it's not usually SATISFYING to do that. And by "Satisfying" i don't think we mean "happy," it means an ending that won't make your reader angry, and thus an ending that is likely to help your story/book sell.

Eric James Stone

• Staff
  • Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »
z, I'm going to guess your professor is more interested in literary fiction than in genre fiction, because that's a very literary fiction kind of thing to say.

The fact is, stories in life do end (and I'm not just talking about death.)  Lives with only unending stories are lives of people who experience no change.  Writing about the tedium of exisitence trapped in an inescapable monotony may win fans among the literary fiction crowd, but it's unlikely to do well in the genre markets.

If you can end the story anywhere, what you've got probably isn't a complete story.  Chances are you end it too soon or too late.  Let me show some examples.

Example #1

Once upon a time there were three little pigs who decided to build themselves houses.

The first pig built his house out of straw.

The second built his out of wood.

The third built his out of brick.

Then one day a big bad wolf came along.  He was hungry, so he went to the straw house and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

"Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin," said the little pig.

"If you don't, I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house in," said the wolf.

The End

Example #2

Once there was a little girl named Red Riding Hood, who wanted to visit her grandmother.  So she took a basket of goodies and went into the woods.  A big bad wolf saw her and asked where she was going.  She told him she was going to see her grandmother, who lived in a cabin in the woods.

So the wolf rushed ahead to the cabin and swallowed the grandmother whole.  Then he put on the grandmother's nightie and cap, and got into her bed.

Red Riding Hood arrived at her grandmother's cabin and went inside. "Grandma, what big eyes you have," she said.

"The better to see you with, my dear," said the wolf.

"What big teeth you have!"

"The better to eat you with, my dear."  And the wolf leapt out of the bed.

Little Red Riding Hood screamed, and a woodcutter nearby came and killed the wolf with his axe, then cut the wolf open so the grandmother could get out.

Next, Little Red Riding Hood decided to visit her great-aunt, who lived across the ocean.  So she got on a boat and sailed across the ocean.  She saw some sharks in the water, but they didn't ask her where she was going, so she din't tell them.

When she arrived at her great-aunt's house, she was put to work scrubbing the fireplace.  The soot turned her Red Riding Hood to black, so people started calling her Little Black Riding Hood.

One day the prince of the land declared that he would hold a ball and would marry the most beautiful girl in all the land. Little Red Riding Hood was very beautiful and she had often dreamed of marrying a prince, but she was only ten years old and didn't want the prince arrested for marrying someone underage.  Besides, she thought it was rather superficial of him to choose his wife solely on looks instead of her other qualities.

So she decided to go back home.

After she got back home, she started caring for the ducks her mother kept for their eggs.  One of the liitle ducklings was far uglier than the others, but she took care of it anyway.  And as time passed, the ugly duckling grew up and turned out to be, not a duck, but a rather ugly goose.

But the goose laid golden eggs.  So Little Red Riding Hood killed the goose, because laying golden eggs is obviously unnatural.

Over the years, Little Red Riding Hood's hair had grown very long, so she weaved it into a rope and used it to go mountain climbing.

The End

Now, #1 doesn't work as a story because it ends too soon.  #2 might contain parts that work as complete stories, but overall it is not a story -- it's a collection of incidents.
Eric James Stone

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:45:19 PM »
" Over the years, Little Red Riding Hood's hair had grown very long, so she weaved it into a rope and used it to go mountain climbing. "

This is the best laugh I've had all day.  I'm going to end all my stories this way.

By the way, I think your endings advice is spot on.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »
I look forward to seeing how you work Little Red into Nethermore, Zed.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
Little Red has a resonant head
So she shaves off all her hair
And even though she's nearly dead
She can pull lightning from the air.

Does that work, Fish?

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 04:26:40 PM »
Sometimes, you terrify me.   ;D ;)
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:23:07 PM »
Eric,
Thanks. Your advice gave me ideas to clarify my outline, making it much better. It's helped.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:45:18 AM »
That was hilarious, EJS.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

JuanCafe

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 05:05:40 PM »
What is a story?  According to Gerrold, a story is a person with a problem. (I think that definition is incomplete, but it will do for now.)

Eric, so what is it you think is missing?

And was this the TV screenwriting workshop Gerrold conducted?

Eric James Stone

• Staff
  • Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »

Eric, so what is it you think is missing?

And was this the TV screenwriting workshop Gerrold conducted?

It was just a half-day writing workshop at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.

What do I think is missing from the definition?  Action and resolution.

I think Gerrold was trying to boil a story down to the barest essentials, but I think he boiled too much off.  I'd say the minimalist definition of a story would be: A person acts, resolving a problem.

That definition still has problems, of course, because sometimes the person doesn't resolve the problem, the problem resolves them.  But either way, there's a resolution.
Eric James Stone