Author Topic: I just found out what my title is...  (Read 12183 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: I just found out what my title is...
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2005, 12:19:54 AM »
no mountain poop? I refuse to read it!

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2005, 02:05:37 AM »
I'm saving the mountain poop for when the boys go to scout camp.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2005, 04:40:57 PM »
So I've been a bit frustrated by all of the edits that have been going on with my book.  I wrote to one of the editors at Covenant (who is just fabulous), and it kind of summed up my opinion.  I hope I haven't killed any relations with Covenant in the future.  :)

--------------------

We should probably have a discussion sometime about this philosophy in general.  I'm curious about your viewpoints.  I think my book in many ways has become better.  Your suggestions about a theme were great; I really think it added to the book.

But I think also my original book had just a bit more edge to it.  Not edge in a bad way, but in a good way.  It was more real, more true to life.  I'm almost afraid it has become too 'squeaky clean'.  Not that filthy dirty is a good thing, but I almost think the humor of the book has become more Leave it to Beaverish.  It's not quite as funny.

I know it's a bit coarse, but the phrase "we'll have to push your intestines back in with a spatula" is a funny line.  Not just the line, but because of the person delivering it, and to whom it is being said.  My mom used that line once.  We all have used similar lines. Not about intestines and spatulas, but something we said in the heat of the moment.  Something we would never say in public, and we hope is never repeated.   We are  embarrassed by it, but later we can laugh about it.  I'm afraid we are missing something if we don't paint the characters as they really are.  They look too much like June Cleaver; always in a dress, always playing the housewife.  Sure, Beavers' escapades are funny, for a bit, but what would be really funny is if, just once, June lost it.  "Dammit Beaver, why can't you be more like Wally!"

That would be funny.

----------------

Anyway...

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »
Hey, I think you should be safe. That was nice and polite, expressing your opinions and concerns without attacking.

The only thing that bothered me was the "dammit." I mean, can you say that to a Covenant editor, even as a quote? ;)
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2005, 07:06:22 PM »
Well, considering that Covenant ediors are born into exclusive colonies where they are sheltered by all evil and taught to fight the horrors of bad grammar...I think you may have just killed several of them before they learn to fight off such a vile word.  ;D

I think you letter is fairly professional. You're not accusing anyone, just voicing that you don't agree and would like an explanation if one is available. If Covenant's editor's are professional, they will at least send you a letter or email explaining themselves a little. If they are unprofessional, they will complain about your letter, gossip about you, and then just ignore your concerns all together.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2005, 08:23:26 PM »
And then you kill them.

Which is the fun part.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2005, 09:49:05 PM »
Especially if done right

*Archon smiles evilly*
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »
Instead of just preaching against bad grammar, those colonies should try actually teaching the principles of good grammar. Covenant would be a whole different place.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »
I'm online almost everyday.  I stay online for about 10-12 hours everyday.  At work, at home, I am always withing seconds of my e-mail.

Expect last Thursday, when the editor from Covenant wrote and told me that the last chapter of my book doesn't have a title, but they will fix it if I can just get them the change by the end of the day.

I checked in at 9:00 that night, and discovered that the last chapter just won't have a title.  So the first edition has an 'error' which makes it worth even more than a boring 'fixed' edition.  The good news is that the managing editor seems to think they will run another edition.  She says humor sells well, and they think this book has a shot at another printing.

So make sure and get your first edition copy when it comes out in June, it will be worth 10s of dimes some day.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2005, 05:17:04 PM »
Did they reject the chapter title you'd given it?  Or did everybody just miss that detail before?  You'd think the typesetters would point it out.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2005, 02:35:19 PM »
They just missed it.  And I never saw the final copy because the final chapter was part of the stuff that didn't make it in until the last minute.  That chapter wasn't in the copy they likely sent you to review.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »
Covenant just posted the cover anda  blurb to their site.  Looks like this is what the cover will look like.

http://www.covenant-lds.com/osb2/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1645

I think I kind of like it.  

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2005, 05:31:41 PM »
heh. Funny chickens. You going to be signing books for TWGers too?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »
I like that cover quite a bit.  Very eye-catching.  And I like the line across the top.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 02:38:22 AM »
That cover's sold me. When is it being released? I'll buy one.