Author Topic: Project Next  (Read 3289 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Project Next
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:43:09 PM »
So, I've got my next book basically worked out in my head.  The first chapter is all ready to be written.  The only thing stopping me is...  I just don't want to.

Did any of the other authors feel like this after publishing their first book?  I read on the other forums that Rob and Brandon are working on other things, Rob just got his third book in, and is probably working on yet another project.  They are cruising.

And I for the life of me can't bring myself to start anything.

Is this normal or am I just a freak?  Well, I'm probably a freak, but is this a normal behavior, or is it freakish behavior?

Who knows...
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: Project Next
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:52:31 PM »
I'm not an author, but if it helps I'm the same way with everything.  I'll have a great idea for a flash animation or a short story, for example, and I'll plan the whole thing out, but I just don't want to actually make it, which is essentially the same situation you are in.  I guess if it is freakish behavior, I'm in the same boat.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:00:05 AM »
I'm the same way with Flash and Webcodeing, I usealy spend so much time prepareing things that I loose intrest or sometime just don't feel like doing the project.  Of course my biggest problem is I don't finish things becaue of various reasons.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »
I am like that in other areas as well.  I know a little bit about a whole lot of programs, because I like to play around, but quickly get bored.  Usually I set a goal to do something, do it, and then I'm finished with it.  Whether it's doing a flash animation, or messing around with digital video, once I've learned the basics, and finished the little project, I want to move on to other things...

Who knows, maybe this will be my only book.  I think if I were to pick something to do next, it would to be involved with making a movie.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »
Why did you write the book in the first place? Is it because you wanted to write a book? Or because you wanted to be a writer? Or did aliens force you to do it?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 09:09:39 PM »
I intend to take over the universe, and writing a book seemed like the first logical step.

No, I've always wanted to be a writter...   When I was little I had dreams of writing sci-fi, and making gobs of money.  But now I'm realizing that making a living at writing is iffy at best, and a lot of hard work.  I've always loved writing, but I think if I had to do it week after week after week, I would start to hate it.

Who knows, I started writing the first seeds of this book when I was in high school.  Maybe in 5-10 years I'll get around to finishing up the next one.  :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 09:45:57 PM »
If you're not planning on makeing a liveing as a writer then don't rush yourself just start some planning and you'll get around to writeing it sooner then later.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 12:52:56 AM »
That's probably good advice.  I don't think I write as well under pressure.