Author Topic: Marketing...  (Read 5962 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Re: Marketing...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:54:39 PM »
And the biggest thing I'd say is to figure out the industry. This is a business, and you are a professional within the business. No editor wants to work with a writer who isn't a professional.

And there is the crux of the matter.  I don't know if I want to pursue a career in this field.  My interests lie elsewhere.  I've always loved writing, and I will always write, but I don't know if I will get around to another book or not.  I'm pursuing a doctorate, I have a couple of projects I'm working on, I've got four boys that need attention, and other things are taking up my time; other things that I'm passionate about.  I have always wanted to be a published author, but now that I've done it I don't know if I have the desire to do it again.   Not because it was a bad experience, it was a great experience.  I just don't know if I care to do it all over.

If I do write another book, or rather tell another story, I think it will be in a different medium.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 04:55:42 PM »
By the way, thanks for the insight and comments, it always helps me sort out things in my head and makes me think.

Thinking is a good thing, I think.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 09:49:25 PM »

And there is the crux of the matter.  I don't know if I want to pursue a career in this field.  My interests lie elsewhere.  I've always loved writing, and I will always write, but I don't know if I will get around to another book or not.  I'm pursuing a doctorate, I have a couple of projects I'm working on, I've got four boys that need attention, and other things are taking up my time; other things that I'm passionate about.  I have always wanted to be a published author, but now that I've done it I don't know if I have the desire to do it again.   Not because it was a bad experience, it was a great experience.  I just don't know if I care to do it all over.

If I do write another book, or rather tell another story, I think it will be in a different medium.

The thing with the publishing industry is they don't care if you don't want to make a living off of this or aren't a professional.  They all expect you to act like on anyway and know the business even if you only want to ever publish on or two books.

Also I'd be careful about being too sneaky about getting out of covenant's contract or sending anything, including chicken, to any other publisher until Covenant gives you permission.  The majority of the publishers to have some contact with each other and doing that can quickly get you blacklisted.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 01:45:19 AM »
Covenant has treated me very well, and I would never 'back stab' them.  I'd like them to market my book outside Utah, but they are not really set up to do that.  I guess I kind of knew that going in, though I hoped they might try.

Either way, if they treat me as nice with my second book (assuming it ever gets written), then they will certainly be my publisher again.  Although I don't know if they will want to, given the nature of the CC copyright.

I guess this is all talking about bridges way before I get there.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »
You can negotiate for a different deal for your second book. Just because your first book was under a certain copyright, doesn't mean you second book has to be under the same type of copyright. Even if they are with the same publisher.

A publisher that insists that all of their author accept the same copyright will find that they have fewer authors to rely on than their competitors.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.