Author Topic: My First Review  (Read 8811 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
My First Review
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »
My first unofficial review comes from a fellow author on another web site...

You can read the review here. .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 02:49:43 PM by Firemeboy »
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: My First Review
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:34:40 PM »
That's great! That's what you want to hear--that the people who actually read it like your book. Congrats!  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 12:11:16 PM »
So, I'm in a book store up in Logan, and they had an LDS section 'top seven' section.  I'm not sure why it wasn't top ten, or top five.  Anyway, my book was sitting on this shelf between numbers 3 and 4.  This surprised me because I've been watching as I go to the Seagull and I haven't even cracked the top ten.

So, I couldn't help it and asked the clerk.  "Is this book really doing that well?"

She looked a little embarrassed and said, "Well, actually those numbers don't really mean anything.  We just put the new stuff there..."

I thought it was quite funny...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:05:32 PM by Firemeboy »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:23:10 PM »
heheheheh. Yeah, that is funny.
You caught them in their lie
LIES I TELL YOU!

sort of like when I type "lol"
I'm not usually laughing out loud.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:53:23 PM »
I am. At you.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:06:49 PM »
aw, you're just saying that because all the girls do.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 01:22:15 PM »
That's great!  I wish the New York Times list didn't feel like the same thing sometimes....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »
It feels like lies?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 02:02:58 PM »
Yeah.  Dave, in his class, made us feel very suspicious of the NYT list.  You see, they don't have access to actual sales numbers.  So, they just kind of choose which books they thing will--or sometimes should--be bestsellers that week.  They do send out some polls to ask booksellers, but they're things like "If this list is wrong, let us know."

It sounds more nefarious than it is.  The truth is that they just have had to guess because there hasn't--until recently--been a good way to track book sales.  (Because of the return policy, among other things.)  Plus, they sell to a certain audience, and they want to show that audience the kinds of books that audience would be interested in.  (Or, in other words, show that audience which books they should be reading so that they can look good in their social circles.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:13:06 PM »
A self-fulfilling book list.  If you keep a book on the NYT best sellers list for long enough, it will eventually sell a lot of books.

Interesting, I had no idea that was the case.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:09:31 PM »
Always suspect everybody.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 05:10:31 PM »
Always suspect everybody.

Advice from someone in the secret society that chooses what books are bestsellers.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:54 AM »
Here's one that got posted to the AML (Association for Mormon Letters) email list.

Review
======

Title: Chickens in the Headlights
Author: Matthew Buckley
Publisher: Covenant Communications
Genre: Fiction
Year Published: 2005
Number of Pages: 206
Binding: Quality paperback
ISBN: 1-59156-852-8
Price: $14.95

Reviewed by Jeffrey Needle

The subtitle of the book gives you an idea of what's coming -- "A funny thing happened on the way to growing up."  Growing up indeed.

The main character of this amusing story is Matthew Buckley.  The author's name is Matthew Buckley.  Hmmmm, you think there's a connection?  Could this be autobiographical?  It's never made quite clear that the events described in this book actually happened to Buckley.  Frankly, I hope they did.  The story's just too good to be made up.  (The author's note indicates that Matthew the author grew up with eleven siblings, including one girl, different from the Matthew character in the book.)

Matthew is one of seven boys in the Buckley family.  They live in Utah on what ought to be a farm, but isn't.  Growing vegetables isn't a talent any of them seems to have.  Mom and Dad are good parents, but they have their hands full with this bunch of rowdies.  Every day seems to be filled with feeding, changing, washing, and conflict resolution.  Mom's a real champ.
Dad, on the other hand, comes across as a rather nerdy type -- he's a scientist with NASA, has a plastic pocket protector and everything else that just shouts "square."  He tells jokes that no one laughs at but himself.  But he's a loving father, and a good provider for his family.

One summer Dad makes a grand announcement -- the children have been wanting actual animals to care for, other than their old dog.  Dad decides to erect a coop of sorts and obtains several dozen chickens and two goats.  And so the nightmare begins.

Ever try telling a goat to do something it didn't want to do?  Ever try reaching under a chicken to get its eggs?  And have you ever chased a chicken around the yard until you could catch it and return it to its coop?
If so, then you'll identify with the travails of these brothers.

The children, and indeed the parents, learn there's more to keeping up with livestock than they had originally thought.  In chapter after chapter, the interaction among the kids, and between the kids and the animals, is just hilarious.  I found myself laughing out loud!

Having grown up in New York City, I had no basis for identifying with these kids.  But I did grow up with two brothers, and I know how difficult it was for our parents to keep us under control.  I simply can't imagine what it would be like to raise seven boys!

Some of the comments from the boys seem a bit bizarre -- they appear to be inordinately interested in things adults find, well, yucky.  From what  I can learn from my neighbors, this is very realistic.

From the outset, Buckley carries the story very well, taking us through the last days of the school year, summer vacation and the annual visit to grandma's house in California  (another hilarious episode), and finally the adoption of the chickens and the mules.  And sprinkled throughout are bits of folksy wisdom, all leading to a marvelous conclusion.

This is great summer reading, something that can be shared with the kids.
What a wonderful read.  This is light, easy reading, intended mainly to amuse, and secondarily to instruct.  I really enjoyed this book, and hope that Buckley will continue writing.

-----------------------------------
Jeff Needle
Association for Mormon Letters
[email protected]
[email protected]
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 11:39:32 AM »
Thanks, Skar!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 12:49:16 PM »
FLAWLESS VICTORY![/size]

:)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch