Author Topic: FictionRemix  (Read 9222 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: FictionRemix
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 05:33:36 AM »
Actually, I was talking about actually taking two original pieces of literature and using the actual text to try and make one story that works together.  Not like fanfic fusions or crossovers, but--like in a music mash-up--a blending where you take the actual pieces and combine them.  One chapter from Dracula.  One chapter from Emma.  Perhaps with some minor changes, such as making the names of characters in two pieces be the same.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »
Actually, I was talking about actually taking two original pieces of literature and using the actual text to try and make one story that works together.

Yes, this is what I pictured too.  So you might take two conversations, and try to add them together in a way that makes sense.  

For example, taking the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene, and then adding something else taking place further down the alley.  Maybe something from Pulp Fiction.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
That would be totally awesome

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 11:50:52 PM »
Wait, I heard about this already being done, like on NPR or something. I think they just used individual sentences.

But after searching for 15 minutes I can't find any trace of this actually existing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »
There was a recent contest in Salt Lake--in fact, I don't think the submission deadline has passed yet--where you have to use sentences from existing books to write an all new one. I was excited to try it, until I learned that you have to use books from Time Magazine top 100 novels list, which is a tragic mockery of literature.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net