Author Topic: FictionRemix  (Read 9224 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
FictionRemix
« on: February 07, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »
So, I'm thinking about doing my dissertation on the rewriting of classic works of fiction. Take a Shakespeare play, throw it in a wiki, and let large groups of people rewrite it with a hip hop flavor.  I've talked about this a bit before, and I think the results might be interesting.  

But is rewriting somebody else's work sacreligious? Would this be an interesting exercise? Are there any short stories you can think of that might be well suited for a 'remix'?

I've already posted one to a wiki I set up, and then added a few very short excerpts of my own stories. If anybody wants to check them out, you can do so here:

http://www.editthis.info/fictionremix/

Feel free to add your own stories, or stories in the public domain that you think would be interesting to 'remix'.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:16:20 PM by Firemeboy »
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: FictionRemix
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »
What exactly do you mean by rewriting? Is West Side Story a rewrite of Romeo and Juliet, or an update, or a version, or are the three terms interchangeable?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
Good question.  Maybe rewriting isn't the best term.  For a finished work, in a sense you are re-writing.  But for a work in progress, it's not really rewriting, rather it a type of collaborative writing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:30:39 PM by Firemeboy »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »
That is a really cool idea.  I'd like to see things like passages from the bible and other scriptural works re-written like that.  I think it would be fascinating to see the different interpretations people bring to such things.  And especially interesting to see the finished work after a whole slew of people have fiddled with it, thus giving a broader slice, spectrum, whatever you want to call it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 07:21:39 PM »
I, too, think that idea is very interesting.  My impression is that you're looking at the way people remix music, and applying that to fiction.  Another thing you could look at is the mashup craze that's happening.  What would happen if you mashed two pieces of literature together?  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:14:03 AM »
Fanfiction writers do mashups all the time--they're called fusions. The collaborative wiki idea is interesting, but it could have implementation problems--like, would you want to keep bad writers out?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »
Another thing you could look at is the mashup craze that's happening.  What would happen if you mashed two pieces of literature together?

That is brilliant.  Any suggestions for two pieces to mashup?  

I do see a problem with 'bad writers', but I see several things happening.  If you ever had the problem of a story being edited too much, you could limit it by a password so that only those making 'good edits' could change the story.  But even then, it's very easy to revert to a past section.  And they way I've got it set up, you edit paragraph by paragraph.  So if somebody comes and kills one section, but somebody is doing great work on another setion, you can trash the bad stuff, and keep the good stuff.  

I think the key is you will need one (or a very few) 'key authors' that have the final say.  Otherwise you'll end up with a story that has 14 voices, 18 endings, and is just a mess.

I've already added a 'mashup' section on the wiki.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »
I see mashups as being very different from fanfiction fusions, but I'm not sure how to translate the musical mashup into literature without it simply becoming a fusion. A fusion, as I understand it, is characters from one story meeting characters or visiting locations from another story, like the X-Men showing up on the Enterprise. A mashup is two songs played on top of each other--they are changed very little, if at all, but compliment each other. I would like to see that same kind of idea applied to literature, but I'm not sure how or what to do.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
You'd have the characters acting independently but in a shared world.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 11:33:22 PM »
Fell, what you describe is a crossover. A fusion is where personalities and plots are joined: the new characters and situations take elements from both (or all) the original sources, but the original characters do not precisely exist anymore. For example, if Ranma Chiba finds himself engaged to Usagi Tendo and they both discover they are reincarnated ki-blast throwing sailor-suited warrior animals of justice, that would be a fusion.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
/me screams in horror.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 05:38:19 PM »
I see, Ookla, interesting. So the X-men visiting the Enterprise would be a crossover, but the Enterprise crew manifesting the powers and roles of the X-men would be a fusion.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
Nerds.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »
I see, Ookla, interesting. So the X-men visiting the Enterprise would be a crossover, but the Enterprise crew manifesting the powers and roles of the X-men would be a fusion.

You realize that Spock is already an honorary X-men.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »

Exactly! Write it already, will you??