Local Authors > Matthew Buckley

FictionRemix

(1/4) > >>

Firemeboy:
So, I'm thinking about doing my dissertation on the rewriting of classic works of fiction. Take a Shakespeare play, throw it in a wiki, and let large groups of people rewrite it with a hip hop flavor.  I've talked about this a bit before, and I think the results might be interesting.  

But is rewriting somebody else's work sacreligious? Would this be an interesting exercise? Are there any short stories you can think of that might be well suited for a 'remix'?

I've already posted one to a wiki I set up, and then added a few very short excerpts of my own stories. If anybody wants to check them out, you can do so here:

http://www.editthis.info/fictionremix/

Feel free to add your own stories, or stories in the public domain that you think would be interesting to 'remix'.

Fellfrosch:
What exactly do you mean by rewriting? Is West Side Story a rewrite of Romeo and Juliet, or an update, or a version, or are the three terms interchangeable?

Firemeboy:
Good question.  Maybe rewriting isn't the best term.  For a finished work, in a sense you are re-writing.  But for a work in progress, it's not really rewriting, rather it a type of collaborative writing.

Skar:
That is a really cool idea.  I'd like to see things like passages from the bible and other scriptural works re-written like that.  I think it would be fascinating to see the different interpretations people bring to such things.  And especially interesting to see the finished work after a whole slew of people have fiddled with it, thus giving a broader slice, spectrum, whatever you want to call it.

EUOL:
I, too, think that idea is very interesting.  My impression is that you're looking at the way people remix music, and applying that to fiction.  Another thing you could look at is the mashup craze that's happening.  What would happen if you mashed two pieces of literature together?  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version