Local Authors > Matthew Buckley

Bullies Don't Have Armpits

<< < (2/6) > >>

Peter Ahlstrom:
Does your contract allow this sort of thing?

Spriggan:
I don't see why it wouldn't considering he's not charging people for this.  He's not trying to publish this book since, after all, this whole publishing industry is nothing more then oppression of ideas.

Peter Ahlstrom:
Most publishers would count publicly displaying the whole book on your website (free or not) as a form of publishing. Most publishers pay for the exclusive right to publish your book (until it goes out of print)--meaning that you can't publish it yourself.

Spriggan:
I can see that, though FireMeBoy has stated he doesn't have much use for plublishers in general and that they hurt, not help, authors.  So this is pretty much his way of rebelling against the publishing industry.  Not that I agree with his statements just putting out what he's said.

Firemeboy:
:)  That might be stating it a bit too harsh.  Although if I have intimated that in the past, my thinking has changed.  I think that publishers are vital and valuable to an author.  Had I self published my book, I would likely have sold 15 copies, instead of the 3500.  Covenant has been excellent to work with in almost every way, and extremely helpful

There is a risk that by putting the entire book online, Covenant won't be interested in this book.  I'm hoping that they are still willing to publish it.  I may have to pull it down when they are ready, but I will try to convince them to allow me to leave it up.  

So far I've had two people drop in to edit the book.  One other person left a note saying they liked it.  There have maybe been a few more people read all of the chapters, most of them family members.  I think if Covenant was publishing this tomorrow, the fact that my book has been online would have zero impact on sales.   I would be willing to bet that of the 5000 or so people who have read my book, about 6 of them know I'm writing my second book online, and I can probably name the six.

But I could be wrong.  We'll have to see.  Either way, it's fun to be writing again.  I honestly didn't think I would get around to this sequel, and the fact that I am writing it in a wiki excites me (and helps with my Ph. d.).  So it's a good thing either way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version