Author Topic: Bullies Don't Have Armpits  (Read 13360 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Bullies Don't Have Armpits
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:35:21 PM »
I thought I would post progress to my next book here in this thread.  So far I've written 2 and a half chapters.  All of them can be found here.

The first two chapters are pretty solid, but chapter three is 'in progress'.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm writing this book in a wiki.  If you would like to post comments, or even 'play along' by editing the text, feel free.  I don't know how it will all work, but it should at least be interesting.  

I've also got a few chapters that I'm mulling over in my mind, and if you want to shoot out ideas for those chapters, you can do that as well.  Go to the community portal to see the random stuff.  
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
Re: Bullies Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
Chapter Three is pretty much done.  I will likley tweak it a bit more, but it's mostly complete.

On to chapter four.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:39:39 PM by Firemeboy »

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:27:43 PM »
Chapter four and five are done, although five will likely be moved to a different location.

I'm struggling with the pace of the story, but I think it's tightening up...

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »
I've combined two chapters, and written another, so five chapters are now complete.  I'm pleased with the pace.

I'm off to Japan, so I don't know how much I'll get written over the next two weeks.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 12:45:46 PM »
Chapter six is up.  

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
Does your contract allow this sort of thing?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 03:48:23 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't considering he's not charging people for this.  He's not trying to publish this book since, after all, this whole publishing industry is nothing more then oppression of ideas.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:22:12 PM »
Most publishers would count publicly displaying the whole book on your website (free or not) as a form of publishing. Most publishers pay for the exclusive right to publish your book (until it goes out of print)--meaning that you can't publish it yourself.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 01:22:53 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:26:57 PM »
I can see that, though FireMeBoy has stated he doesn't have much use for plublishers in general and that they hurt, not help, authors.  So this is pretty much his way of rebelling against the publishing industry.  Not that I agree with his statements just putting out what he's said.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 05:30:13 PM »
:)  That might be stating it a bit too harsh.  Although if I have intimated that in the past, my thinking has changed.  I think that publishers are vital and valuable to an author.  Had I self published my book, I would likely have sold 15 copies, instead of the 3500.  Covenant has been excellent to work with in almost every way, and extremely helpful

There is a risk that by putting the entire book online, Covenant won't be interested in this book.  I'm hoping that they are still willing to publish it.  I may have to pull it down when they are ready, but I will try to convince them to allow me to leave it up.  

So far I've had two people drop in to edit the book.  One other person left a note saying they liked it.  There have maybe been a few more people read all of the chapters, most of them family members.  I think if Covenant was publishing this tomorrow, the fact that my book has been online would have zero impact on sales.   I would be willing to bet that of the 5000 or so people who have read my book, about 6 of them know I'm writing my second book online, and I can probably name the six.

But I could be wrong.  We'll have to see.  Either way, it's fun to be writing again.  I honestly didn't think I would get around to this sequel, and the fact that I am writing it in a wiki excites me (and helps with my Ph. d.).  So it's a good thing either way.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 05:37:40 PM by Firemeboy »

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
Most publishers would count publicly displaying the whole book on your website (free or not) as a form of publishing. Most publishers pay for the exclusive right to publish your book (until it goes out of print)--meaning that you can't publish it yourself.
 That seems a bit too rigid an interpretation.  If that was the case, then anything I ever wrote, including a blog, a letter to the editor, or a post to a discussion board would first have to be run by my publisher to make sure it's OK.  I think the only time I have to give my publisher first rights of refusal is if I'm looking for somebody else to publish my work.  I think, and maybe Rob can correct me, that if I wanted to publish it myself (and make money), I could without getting permission from them.  Only if I'm looking for a third party publisher do I first have to go to Covenant.

But I guess it's all academic because I already ran this by my publisher, and they were fine with it.  Which may mean that they have no intention of publishing it, or that they don't think it will affect sales.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
10 chapters, all done and put to bed.

http://stu-inst.usu.edu:16080/fikiwiki/index.php/Main_Page

The book is currently at about 100 pages.  Chickens was 220, so I'm roughly half way there.

I've struggled through the middle section, although I think it's turned out well. The ending should move quicker because I have it all worked out in my head.

Do any other writers do this? They have the climax in their mind, but they've got to write a whole book, just to get there?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 08:04:42 PM »
Yeah. Brandon often says middles are hard.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »
Finished through 13...

stu-inst.usu.edu:16080/fikiwiki/index.php/Main_Page