Author Topic: Pronunciation Guide  (Read 4791 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Pronunciation Guide
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:10:23 PM »
I know a lot of people have asked for one of these, so I decided to throw one up as the 'May Goodie' for Elantris.  You can find it linked on the main page.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Pronunciation Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:10:34 PM »
...you're...crazy.

These pronunciations are pretty hard to say and don't make much sense internally! How do you pronounce "en" at the end of "Raoden" and "is" it the end of Elantris and "Sa-" at the beginning of "Sarene"? Is it Ray-oh-deen and Ee-lain-trice and Say-ray-nay? Or is it "-en" (as in "end" with no "d") and "-triss" (rhymes with "kiss") and "Suh-" (front rhymes with "Samantha")? Or Because if it's "-en" and "-triss" and "Suh-" then these pronunciations are not allowed by your AEIO rules, and if it's "-deen" and "-trice" and "Say-" then your listed pronunciations are not helpful.

Spelling some "a" sound with "e" instead also throws a wrench into the whole thing. Basically, the fact that you felt the need to do that should have been an indication to you that there were issues with the system to start out with, and that regular English speakers and especially Fantasy readers would just not automatically pronounce your names close to the way you meant them to be pronounced.

I will hopefully comment later, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to base a language around the just 4 long vowels A E I O (which are pronounced, phonetically, "ei ii ai ou"). It looks like there are some problems in implementation though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »
I thought that only applied to the Aons.  The different names and words, ie Raoden, is only part Aon... the other half is like a totally different language.  Sort of like a pidgen language combines two different languages into is own sort of language, and can eventually turn into a whole new language (creole).  I think that is what happened here....

I would need to reread the article, but I think it also mentioned something about only the first so many vowels being long and the rest normal.  That or just the vowels that dealt with the Aon part  of the word.

I also think the 'ae' thing is pretty common in fantasy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 04:21:01 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »
...I did think something along those lines after I wrote the post above, and I haven't had time to read the whole thing... Well, I'll go back and check it later...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:41:33 PM »
Ookla,

You're missing the long/short combination.  (EP has it exactly right.)

The Aon has long vowels, the rest of the word has short.  Maybe I need to make that more explicit.  However, reading it, it makes sense to me.

So, RAY-Oh-den would be pronounced, I think, exactly as I wrote it there.  Two long--for the Aon--one short, for the non-Aon.  

As for the 'A' exception, it was done out of necessity.  You see, the truth is that I was creating a language to accent my novel, not the other way around.  So, when it came down to writing a name like 'Sarene,' I just couldn't force myself to write it the way that looked worse, just to make the language feel a little more consistent.  (There was no physical way to make the name on the page sound like the one in my head without writing something very silly, like Saraynay or Saraenae.)

I think that people in the world would pronounce her name, therefore, as "Sa-REE-Nee," as I pointed out in the article.  However, I'm still going to pronounce it how I want, because I'm an English speaker, not an Aonic speaker.  Just like I call Korea 'Korea,' instead of 'Kor-ryo' (or even Hanguk) as would be correct.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 04:51:56 PM by EUOL »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
*sigh* Well, looks like I was wrong. Sorry for jumping on it without reading and thinking enough...

Anyway I'm now confused on Sarene's name. Did you originally conceive her name as sa-RAY-NAY but since spelling it Sarana didn't work you changed it to Sarene, meaning now that the people in the world of the Dor pronounce it as sa-REE-NEE (rhymes with bikini)? So is it really a case of "e" being pronounced as "AY" or just another one of "e" being pronounced as "EE"?

[EDIT: Guh. I should just shut up. I've skimmed most of the rest of the article now, which answers the questions. v_v Well, after I've read it more carefully later, if there is still anything unclear I'll post again.]

If the book ever became a book on tape, how would you want the names pronounced on the recording? The way you say them in your head, the way most people might say it, or the way the people of that world would say it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:51:57 PM by OoklaTheMok »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 05:55:08 PM »
That's a good question, Ookla.  This one throws me into all sorts of wrinkles.

I realize that readers are going to pronounce names however they want, and that's okay with me.  But, what do you do when the AUTHOR pronounces the names incorrectly?  

Anyway, you're the resident linguist.  I really would appreciate comments and suggestions on making this more readable, Ookla.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 06:02:37 PM »
again just let Gemm do the audio I'm sure he'll add a few more sylables into each name and solve everyone's problems by confuseing us all.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 06:55:27 PM »
I think for the audio books you should just change Sarene's name to Shanaynay.  That would be both phonetically easy to say and funny at the same time.

:D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »
And Raoden can be Todd

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 11:32:38 PM »
And Teod can be Fred.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan