Author Topic: Any offers for an Elantris RPG yet?  (Read 3905 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Any offers for an Elantris RPG yet?
« on: April 27, 2005, 08:59:09 PM »
Cause I think TWG East might be up to that challenge after we read the book... gotta talk to Eric of course... :D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Any offers for an Elantris RPG yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 02:24:19 AM »
Lol.

I'm not sure how well Elantris lends itself to role playing.  MISTBORN, now...well, that would be fun.

Actually, as for RPGs, I've always kind of thought that my style of writing would lend itself well to creating a 'Brandon Multiverse' style system.  One that incorporates all the wacky magic systems from my books.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:19:09 AM »
That would be interesting. We could use the one big system. We could put TW(i)G in the system too (as the only non-sanderson setting).

/me pontificates this.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 08:11:37 AM »
The Aons are a lot like the Illumian language from D&D.  In that, there is this huge alphabet of like 1000+ symbols, and each symbol is a syllable rather than a letter.  Each syllable has its own meaning, and all the words come from the appropriate syllable combination.  That seems the same way that the Aon language works.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 08:25:24 AM »
Also how Chinese and Japanese work.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:35:31 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:20:13 PM »
Pictograms!!

Well, not really. But a little closer than letters.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 05:11:48 PM »
Actually, I think the term is 'Logograms.'  Am I right, Ookla?

(And yes, the strange Chinese-Korean hybrid language used in a lot of Korean writing was my inspiration for the Aons.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 07:24:54 PM »
logograms would be a whole word as one symbol.  That would be like Chinese, which are also used in japanese and korean (I think its called kanji in japanese).

Syllabary would be where each symbol is a syllable (I think this is called kana in japanese).  Traditionally there is no meaning to them at all, its just represents the sound its supposed to make.  But with the D&D Illumian language, they also have some kind of definition besides just the sound.  Which kind of makes sense for a magical language.  Thats kind of how I was assuming the Aons worked, but now I don't think it does... I guess that's what I get for reading d&d rulebooks while reading a novel.

Then there is alphabetic.  I think that covers all the kinds of writing systems.  (I believe its called romaji for japanese... yeah, they got a lot of kinds of writing systems.  I think they actually have two kinds of syllabary, broken and smooth).

That reminds me of something.  In part of the book it seemed like Raodin was saying that the symbol for Aon can be found in every other Aon.  And it does seem to be in all of them at the back.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:56:25 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »
Eagle, i didn't know you were into lingustics.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »
Actualy Eagle Kanji can be Syllabary as well, there are times when the Kanji has no meaning and is just there for a sound.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 02:44:49 PM »
You obviously know more about japanese then I do... that was sort of why I was using it as an example.  But as I understand it, kanji means 'Han characters' and was basically borrowed from the chinese.  Also not surprisingly done by the koreans, but they have slowly been droping their use.  From what I understand about written chinese, in the begining there were some parts in the character to give the idea of how it was pronounced and other parts of the character to give you an idea of what the word meant.  And I think the majority of the characters now are phonic.  This somewhat makes sense, because chinese is a tonal language (which means the same word can have very different meanings depending on the pitch).  Well, that is my explination, but you might have more info on it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 05:47:12 PM »
Japanese is the same way as chinese, in theory.  Radicals are what the base elements are called, ie the ones that are supposed to help with pronusciation but I personaly don't think they help one bit.  Japanese isn't really suited for the Kanji writeing sytem it actualy works better with a phonetic alphabet like roman characters or Kana.  The reson why is the silly Japanese have gone and assigned some kanji as many as 10 different pronuciations and meanings.  Oi.  There was a study put out in the late 90's by the Japanese Education minastry that says more or less the same thing and that they recomended dumping Kanji for romanized spellings.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 02:42:36 AM »
Yeah I've heard about those multiple meaning words from reading Vampire Hunter D stuff.  One of the book titles had a word like that, and the only way to find out what was actually meant was to ask the author!  heh.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 12:54:24 PM »
Each kanji may have up to 12 pronunciations, but the bigger problem is that each pronunciation has up to a ZILLION kanji (Like, on WWWJDIC, I just did  a kanji search for kanji spellings for the syllable "a," and it came up with 500 matches. That's because it gave up at 500. A more complicated syllable, "ken," for example, got 125 hits.).

So in my opinion it really IS helpful to have the kanji in the writing instead of just using a phonetic spelling system. If you don't have the kanji there, it's very hard to tell which word it is from just the context. In speaking the context is easier to figure out, but in writing, the kanji really helps.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!