Author Topic: Annotations  (Read 3476 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Annotations
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »
Title page annotation is up, but it seems to have a bunch of <> tags in it.

It mentions pronunciations..."'Adonis' (Pronounced with a hard 'A' and a hard 'O')"... umm...this means nothing! Hard 'a'? Hard 'o'? Consonants can be hard, but vowels cannot be hard. What the heck are you talking about? Please provide examples, like "a as in aardvark" or "a as in alone" or "a as in acorn" or "a as in apple" (all pronounced differently, all recognizable for Americans).

More later...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 08:58:05 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Annotations
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:30:35 PM »
Hey--good catch.  I meant 'long' instead.  Long Vowels.  Do you think I need examples if I explain them that way?

However, I didn't link the annotations from the front page because there appears to be something wrong with the coding.  I can't get it to paragraph break.  (Hence all of the <> tags.)  This is something Sprig will have to fix tonight, after he gets up.  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:31:15 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:03:51 AM »
Sorry about that I forgot to unencode the HTML for that page so when you were seeing <br> you were actualy seeing & lt;br& gt;.  It should all be fixed now.

I also reformated the HTML to use <p> but if you want it different then feel free to change it back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:16:06 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:47:30 AM »
"long" is technically incorrect, but it's folk phonology understood by most people who remember kindergarten, so it should be fine. (I assume you mean "long a" as in "able" and "long o" as in "open.") If you use that terminology to describe other things in the future though, remember that "long" and "short" are only two kinds of vowels, and "a" has 4 different pronunciations.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

chasingisis

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If I'm here, it means I'm not writing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 10:53:12 AM »
No pressure, but I love the annotations and I have been gobbling them up as soon as they're posted.

Do you plan to discuss at all the creation of your religions, or their evolution?  
"sacred environments...are not places to escape the world, but to enter it more deeply." - The Dalai Lama

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 11:57:34 AM »
EUOL started a religion? I knew he had a shrine, but I hadn't realized it had gone that far.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:17:46 PM »
Yeah, I've earned the priestly title of Lord High Emperor God-King
Which is EUOLish for "shoe polisher."
I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get excommunicated around here.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
Funny, usually it's other people who make up religions about him.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

chasingisis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:31:57 PM »
Okay, so I used the wrong phrasing. (Although, one's own religion is appealing. I can see creating it, but how do you get any believers?)

What I meant was the fictional religions of Elantris.

Although if anyone has actually started their own religion, I'd love to hear about that, too.   :)
"sacred environments...are not places to escape the world, but to enter it more deeply." - The Dalai Lama

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 11:40:22 PM »
We knew what you meant, but SE and I get very bored during the day. Subjects we're not equippped to discuss intelligently, we discuss stupidly.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 11:44:57 PM »
And the rest of us sit back and appreciate how clever they are.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

chasingisis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 12:22:33 AM »
In that case, let's get back to the shrine. Does it have pictures or has he evolved to statues of himself?  ;)

Ugh! The annotation for Chapter One is up, and I've read it, and now there's nothing else. I need to learn self-control. I should let them build up for a while, and then just read three. Let them build up a little more....

I'm thinking too much. I'm always doing that. So anyway, as a note for EUOL, I didn't notice the odd POV in the first sentance until after I read the book and was showing it to a friend of mine. I didn't think it was too bad.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 10:05:58 PM by chasingisis »