Author Topic: Mystery Project  (Read 10098 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Project
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2005, 08:04:33 PM »
16 days? Ha ha ha... v_v

I would like to give it a read...Karen reads lots of YA so she could likely give some useful opinions as well.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »
Yeah I'd also like to read it.  
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 11:28:35 PM »
I'd like to read it at some point.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2005, 11:59:25 PM »
I'd be interested as well.  I collect a lot of YA books.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 12:10:20 PM »
A YA novel, huh? Sure sounds interesting to me. (After all, I owe my obsession w/ spec fic to reading the Narnia and Prydain books, among others).
But I seem to recall some mention that the super-busy EUOL never has time for "mystery projects" and that the progress bar on his home page was for a "friend" of his.  Ah, I love the Freudian irony of that.
Of course, I'd like to read it too. I realize EUOL probably wouldn't trust a ms to a newbie like me. Sigh.  I'm really curious to hear about the storyline, though. So here's hoping that he'll throw us a little tidbit or two!
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 12:56:26 PM »
He gave me a couple and i never got around to giving him feedback. Which is kind of embarrassing it must be said.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 01:24:41 PM »
As the resident YA/children's editor, EUOL, I hope you were expecting me to read it. I'd like to, at least.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »
Hehe, he was talking to his agent and editor today about this and I swear I heard them groaning when he told them that he "accidently" wrote another book instead of editing Misborn 2.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 05:46:33 PM »
Moshe too? I would have thought he'd pitch it for a different publisher...though Tor does have that relatively new YA line...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 06:53:39 PM »
That's the plan Ookla.  He figures he has a better chance at getting this published through Tor's new line.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 06:58:45 PM »
They have first refusal on my next book, Ookla.  Now, that's supposed to be MISTBORN 2, but I'll probably have this one in shape faster.  

I'll be sending e-copies to those regular Brandon alpha-readers who want one.  It might even go off tonight.  

Right now, I'm planning to send to:

Ookla (and therefore Karen)
Tekiel (It wouldn't be right if an Olsen weren't one of the first to read one of my books.)
Stacer (Of course I want to send it to you.  You're the resident expert.  I just wasn't certain if you wanted to read something like this, since you now do it for work.)

Brenna and Fuzzy:  You guys want e-copies, or do you want to wait for the physical copy?

Entropy:  Yeah, one of these days you'll get back to me on a book BEFORE it comes out, right?

Cinder:  You're in Utah, right?  I'm wary of sending off e-copies of books to people I don't know--since it would take them all of three clicks to stick the entire text on-line.  However, I'd be more than happy to get the physical copy to you sometime, so you could do an alpha-read for me.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2005, 07:33:42 PM »

Stacer (Of course I want to send it to you.  You're the resident expert.  I just wasn't certain if you wanted to read something like this, since you now do it for work.)

Sure I want to. I did it for "work" in grad school, too. :) It's not really competing with what I do since 1) Tor has first dibs and 2) we're not doing non-series at this point. So it's a personal project anyway.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2005, 07:50:33 PM »
Entropy:  Yeah, one of these days you'll get back to me on a book BEFORE it comes out, right?

Hey hey! Lets not be hasty about this. :P I could give you some critique on the ones I read (elantris and way o kings) but it's not like it'd be useful at this point, right? Well, other than that you need to work more on adding depth to your worlds... they don't seem to have existed past the last 50 years or so. It's jarring to a tolkien fan. Plus, less mass genocide at the end of the novels please :P

If the draft of mistborn you gave me back in the day is still the current one I could throw you a few comments I suppose, after reading it..
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »
What do you feel is lacking in depth? Way of Kings still has plenty of time for comments to be paid attention to, so I imagine specifics would be more useful than "it doesn't seem to have existed" (to me WoK had thousands of years of history...)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »
Ya but Elantris dosen't, which is the most recent one Entropy has read.

I haven't read WoK though I have read through most of the world book EUOL created for it, which is very intresting and I'm hopeing he'll get it illastrated and published sometime.