Author Topic: Mystery Project  (Read 10100 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Project
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »
Stet needs a nom de plume, does he?

My dad's dad's name was Cecil Fred Ahlstrom.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 03:49:23 AM »
I told him about a conversation Fell and I had, where we came up with some stuffy British name.  Something like "Cecil G. Bagsworth the Third."  Seems like it would be a good, pretentious-sounding pen name.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 03:55:48 AM »
You could always look through Mr. Norrell and Jonathon Strange for haughty 19th century English names. Plenty of them in there. And I ain't not nothing but no joking.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 06:53:23 AM »
I told him about a conversation Fell and I had, where we came up with some stuffy British name.  Something like "Cecil G. Bagsworth the Third."  Seems like it would be a good, pretentious-sounding pen name.

Haha... here, it's American's who are known (and mocked for) their tendency to take the same names in a line. Bob, Bob Jr, Bob the third...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 08:39:10 AM »
You forgot Billy Bob.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 09:21:49 AM »
Haha... here, it's American's who are known (and mocked for) their tendency to take the same names in a line. Bob, Bob Jr, Bob the third...

Y'know, like George. George II, George III, Henry, Henry VIII

Yeah, it's the Americans that do that.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 10:49:41 AM »
In high school I came up with a multicultural name...something like Jean-Muhammad Big Horse de von O'McGoldberg-Nguyen.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »
Kings are allowed, and expected, to do that. Business men with silly accents are not.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
sounds like random criteria to me. 8 people named "Henry" is pretty goofy. ESPECIALLY for a king.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 11:25:14 AM »
Yes, but they were Royalty. Different rules (with bigger price tags) apply!

Plus, who is going to argue with a man whose slippers cost more than the sum of their possessions?

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 11:36:38 AM »
Most Americans, actually....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 11:40:19 AM »
actually, I don't know that I really will argue with that person. Especially if their name is Edward II. I'd be FAR too busy laughing at them.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »
Laughing at Edward II is fully encouraged. Laughing at his father was a rather riskier affair...

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »
No White Sand?

Ah MAN!
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 10:15:26 PM »
All right.

Well, if I've been slightly incommunicado for a few weeks, it's because I've been rather busy.  A still little side project I started working on ended up consuming my soul for sixteen days.  (Sorry about the lack of EUOLogies.  I'll pop some out next week, then you can ration them for a while.)

So, anyway, the Mystery Project is finished.  It is, as Stacer guessed, a YA fantasy.  Very light-hearted, kind of in the vein of KNIGHT LIFE, which some of you have read.  

The fact of the matter is, I'd just written so many deep, ponderous books lately (THE WAY OF KINGS, MISTBORN, MISTBORN 2) that I needed to write something lighter to kind of 'cleanse the palate' so to speak.  I also wanted to hone my comedic skills a little bit, just in case Fell and I do end up doing a novel together.  

However, when it comes to writing, I tend to get very single-minded and go overboard.  That's why this is my sixteenth novel.  It's finished now, clocking in at 53,000 words and about 300 manuscript pages.  (Take that, NaNoWriMo!)

I honestly don't know if it's any good or not.  I'm getting more well-read in the YA (or, I suppose this is Middle Grade) field, but I don't know enough.  I suspect this book is a little derivative, since I don't have a large body of works to draw upon for inspiration.  

However, I think it's quite a bit of fun.  On Monday, I'll give it a solid rewrite.  After that, I'll be looking for readers--especially readers who are familiar with children's lit.  I realize this probably isn't a monolithic, amazing work that will change the genre.  However, if it turns out that you all think it's publishable, then I'll probably try and sell it.

Thanks!

(By the way--yes, technically Stet wrote this.  But, he's too much of an eccentric recluse these days to put out a book, so he's letting me handle all of the publicity and the like.)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 12:10:25 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch