Author Topic: CONduit Reading  (Read 15721 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: CONduit Reading
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 05:03:46 PM »
I was not aware that we had our own version of TPTB.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »
I think in this case TPTB = Newbie Smackdown Crew.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 12:29:09 PM »

Discretion is always wise--especially when approaching a potentially rabid squirrel or a potentially crazed stalker.
But yes, I am Heather, so I do have a right to blow noisy kisses at EUOL in an attempt to distract or embarrass him.

Right on! However, a note of caution to this tale: one must also use discretion when approaching authors, for they possess the uncanny predeliction towards modeling certain characters after real-life acquaintances at whom the author wishes to poke fun.  ::)

But since you're EUOL's sweetie, Chimera, let's hope that he has more sense than to do that! Otherwise he might become EULOL (Evil Undead Lonely Over Lord).

That said, I'll definitely have to vote for B. But I'm torn between that and A. Who could resist a Seon? Give me a Seon over a personal robot anyday.
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 12:36:59 PM »
I have absolutely no compunctions about voting wholeheartedly for A.  You can also perform a variation on B by blowing noisy kisses from behind the beach ball while maintaining your persona as his seon.

I'm afraid... that I must encourage this.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

CinderEllie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
Sounds good to me, Skar. But I was thinking . . . maybe Chimera should add a fourth choice--she could jump up on a chair at random moments and draw a whole bunch of Aons in thin air.  After all, who could possibly blame her for trying to perfect the art of drawing Aons in front of the master?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 12:54:29 PM »
Use a laser pointer and a electronic whiteboard at the same time, so she actually does draw the aons.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 05:04:48 PM »
This is getting better and better. I just keep waiting for EUOL to put in his two-cents. He seems to be purposely ignoring me...

Hehehehe.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 07:02:31 PM »
I'm not certain what to make of this entire thread.  

I'm going to vote for option D:  Bake EUOL cookies.

As for Cinder's legitimate--and up to this point unanswered question--I still can't quite say what I'll be reading.  Since this is my first one ever, I don't know really what would be appropriate.

It seems like the beginning of ELANTRIS would be best, since it would be the most likely to draw people into the book who haven't read it yet.  Part of the con experience is, after all, publicity.

However, I'm thinking the YA book might be fun to read from a little bit.  Also, Mistborn could make a nice teaser for people interested in what's coming up next.

Any suggestions?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

CinderEllie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 07:14:55 PM »
Yeah, this is a fun thread, isn't it? Not too bad of a response to a first-ever post, eh?

So . . . as much as I enjoyed ELANTRIS, if I were able to be at the CON, I would definitely want to get a sneak preview of MISTBORN.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
How much time do you have?

I like your YA book--it makes me laugh. And I think it shows that you are a versatile writer. But if most of the audience is expecting mainstream fantasy ("deep and ponderous," as you've termed it), then that might be what you want to stick with.

Reading from Mistborn could be good. I know when I have gone to listen to an author I admire, I always am intrigued when they read something "new" and "unpublished" that they are working on. So to please your millions of fans, maybe that's what you should do.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 07:15:48 PM by Chimera »

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 07:17:26 PM »
I'm going to vote for option D:  Bake EUOL cookies.

Oh, I see, I can't have sugar, but you can? Now that is just cruel and unusual punishment!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2005, 07:44:53 PM »
I think you should definitely read from Elantris, and I can't off the top of my head think of a better place than the beginning. When you are a huge author like Lois McMaster Bujold and most of the people at your reading got your newest book the first day it was out, then you tease them with the next book. But in your case, you would certainly hope that a large percentage of the people going to your reading have not read Elantris at all--this is an important time to market it to them.

It would make sense to read from Mistborn after January, if you're going to any cons between then and when it comes out, assuming it's still coming Mayish (though you're rather behind on production compared to Elantris, if that's the case, right?).

The new YA book is fresh in your mind and seems new and exciting to you, but by the time it comes out (if ever) anyone who hears you read from it now is going to have forgotten everything about it, whereas Elantris is fresh and exciting to anyone who hasn't read it 15 times over the past 6 years already like you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 07:47:11 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2005, 07:47:48 PM »
Ookla's got it, I think.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

CinderEllie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:29 PM »
Yeah, Ookla's got a very good point. Too bad EUOL couldn't read a little of both. But a half hour isn't all that much time, really.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2005, 11:06:14 PM »

It seems like the beginning of ELANTRIS would be best, since it would be the most likely to draw people into the book who haven't read it yet.  Part of the con experience is, after all, publicity.

Any suggestions?

Well I lent one of my copies to a coworker and he said the beginning was really catchy, so I'll throw in a vote for that.  Everyone also really seems to like the Seons, so if you can include the Seons at all, those seem to be a hit.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan