Author Topic: BrandonSanderson.com  (Read 21771 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
BrandonSanderson.com
« on: April 07, 2004, 05:18:34 AM »
So, Sprig, when are you going to have something better for me to put up than the current screen?  (I'll give you a cookie if you do it soon....)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: BrandonSanderson.com
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:59:32 AM »
hum?  Well you can change the text on that one at least.  I thought you wanted me to wait for 42 to get me a style guide before I did anything.  But if you want something else until then have Tage get you a database and I'll start the backend.  Also if you give me your FTP log in stuff so I can directly upload that would help.  If not, I'll just make everything localy and e-mail it to you.  However, I DO need to know the database's name and log in or there's no point in me doing anything for you.

I'm waiting on SE to get me a typography style for WG.org, so between waiting on that and animating a flash game (wich I loath doing more then an hour or so a day becasue it's so boreing) I've been working on for the past week and a half, I've got the free time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:00:09 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:06:00 AM »
I don't know anything about the process, really, so ignore anything stupid I say.  I really do appreciate you guys doing this for me.

I would kind of like to be able to start adding updates here fairly soon.  And, I'm very curious to see what kind of colors and pictures 42 decides to use.  

I sent you the username and password.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:06:21 AM by EUOL »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:24:18 AM »
Some things to consider for me.

Do you want people to regester?  If it's something you'd like down the line, but not right away I can code everthing and just not have a way to regester/login at the site till you want to have that feature.

How do you want to handle articles at the site?  What types of articles do you want?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 07:33:21 AM »
I don't think I want registration.  I mean, why does it matter?  I'm not even sure why places do this.  

I would, however, like a place where people can sign up for email updates about my works.  A newsletter kind of thing.

As for articles, I intend to include various things on the site.

First:  Sample chapters and blurbs for each of my books.
Second: Rants/commentaries
Third: News about current works.  (I'd also like a little box in the corner that I can update showing my progress on current books as a percentage.  Like, I input how many pages out of a projected number I've written, and it shows a percentage on the main page.  Just a little tiny thing, however.)

Um, probably more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.  As for links, I really like the link box at the project majestic mix site--a little square thing with nifty little pictures in it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 07:47:52 AM »
ok, now how do you want blurbing to work on the main page?  Like twg where you have to make a blurb for every article?  Have it auto blurb?  Auto blurb can work two ways either haveing a blurb field where you enter an article, or have it automaticaly just take the fist x number of characters and blurb that with a "Click here to read more" link.

Or do you want it so that the whole articles appear on the main page (like what PVP does) or a combo of the two?

Also expanding on the "deparments" do you want each to have they;re own pages like here or when you click on, for example, chapter samples, just haveing things listed like a search engine?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »
I don't want everything on the main page to be a blurb.  I'd kind of like to link to rants, and then include other things--like updates and interesting tidbits--as they strike me.  

I don't want a 'click to read more' thing.  More of a "I wrote an article about blah blah blah.  Click away to read!"  Then, there would be a rants page, where I could include more.

I suppose that's like the TWG.  However, I don't want all of the other stuff--like the picture and header--cluttering things up.  

I'd prefer their own pages for departments.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 08:31:54 AM »
Ok, so what do you want on the deparment pages?  How do you want them to differ?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 08:37:49 AM »
Rants, Books, uh...other stuff.  I'll think about it.  But, the books page should link to a separate 'department' page for each separate book or series.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 08:41:39 AM »
Think you misunderstood me, not what deparment pages do you want.  But what do you want on that deparment page.  So if you had a "Rant" page what would be there?  The most recent rant and a link to past ones?  Several summeires (blurbs) to the most recent 5 rants?  And introductory page with links to a list of the rants?

What about your book pages?  How would they be different design/layout wise then the rants?  

I need to know this becasue it'll affect alot of the structure of how things are saved.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 09:02:40 AM by Spriggan »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 04:37:50 AM »
Hum.  I think maybe a drop down list somewhere at the top of the page, which includes a name of the rant and the date.  Then, the one you select shows up below.

I kind of would like the book pages to be 'themed' toward the book in question.  This isn't important right now, since I'll only have ELANTRIS, but in the future I might like to change some of the icons and graphics on the main page to represent my most recent work.  However, when you select a specific book page, it should flip back to the layout for that book.

One other thing--I kind of like how OSC does his website buy having a 'newsbox' for his different pages on the front page.  For instance, we could have a 'new in rants' box that has more permanent blurbs regarding things on the rants page.  Also, a 'New book releases' box, that showed the cover of my most recent book, would be very nice.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 09:56:50 AM »
What did you do to your site? When trying to access it I get a txt file that all jibberish.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 10:35:29 AM »
I bet it was a movie file of some sort. Happens all the time.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 10:45:33 AM »
no, I found what it is.  But I'm not sure what it does, or why he uploaded it.  If you read this EUOL, I'm chageing that file name so others don't have this problem.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 12:17:23 PM »
I didn't upload anything.