Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Publication News

(1/9) > >>

EUOL:
I decided that 'The Next Step' was a kind of strange and uninformative title for the thread, so I thought I'd start a new one.  Mostly, I thought it would be nice to have a place where I can post some of the more interesting correspondences I get from the various people I'm working with.  Some of you may find these things interesting or helpful--many of them are responses to questions I had.

EUOL:
It looks like the publication date is going to be later than I thought--somewhere around May of '05.  When I asked why so late, here is what Joshua (my agent) had to say:

> Brandon:  In publishing terms, May 2005 is not all that far off, only a few
> months later than the February date we'd been thinking about over the course of
> World Fantasy, and as far away as it seems right now, the time will go much
> quicker than you think.  
>
> Even for a book that's been on the schedule (let's say it's part of a
> multi-book deal, or sold on the basis of an outline) and is moving very quickly from
> delivery to store shelves, the publisher is hoping to have eight or ten months
> to put the book through copy-editing, revisions, production, etc. from the
> time it's turned in until the month it's to go on sale.  It's not good to be
> crashing deadlines like Robert Jordan, rushing from manuscript to finished books
> in ten weeks.  ELANTRIS isn't a book that Tor signed up in 2002 or 2001 and
> has had on its projected schedule for a year or two already, so I certainly
> wouldn't have expected it to be published until the first quarter or first half of
> 2005.
>
> May '05 means you can turn in a revised manuscript in February, that there's
> time for Moshe to read, for you to do any additional tweaking, for the
> finished product to be sent to blurbers over early Summer so quotes would be
> available for the catalog, solicitation jackets, galley or advanced reader copies,
> etc. which are being worked on in late summer and very early fall.  As we get
> along in 2004, I think you'll be happy there are a few more months for the buzz
> to build.  It also gives a bit more leeway for finding a British publisher that
> can coordinate a release in the same season as Tor.

42:
Actually, May 2005 is sooner than when I expected it to get out.

fuzzyoctopus:
The Leading Edge could do a review of it even before you send out the advance copies.   ;D

EUOL:
Well, we just sold Russian rights to Elantris.  Kind of a strange story--a Russian publishing house saw in Locus (the big sf&f news magazine) that TOR had bought a stand-alone fantasy from a new author, and decided (without knowing anything about the novel) that they wanted it.  They got in touch with Joshua, and made their offer.  We decided to accept because it would take us another six months or so to get an edited copy to other Russian houses and get back counter-offers.

So, yay.  I'm in two languages!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version